Changing plans

After a while I didn't feel like a red tomato any more and was ready to enter the garage. I looked around and took it all in. Mechanics were still doing adjustments to the cars and engineers debating on computers. I walked around, careful to not be in any ones way.

"Oh, nice to see you again." Someone said that was way taller than me. I heard the dark voice with a strong accent more from above then from behind. I turned around and looked at Toto with an honest smile. I reached for his hand and shook it.

"Thanks so much for all you have done. I am entirely grateful for the opportunity." I said and meant it.

"Oh, don't be. Really. I'm proud to have recruited such a rare expert. Your CV is stronger than anything I have seen in that field. It would not have taken my intervention for you to get that job." He said while I demanded my cheeks not to blush. They probably were still a bit red from George's touch, but now they must be red as fire.

"I am happy you forwarded it. I didn't know about any open positions."

"Me neither, but that's another story I might tell you sometime else." He said while searching the room with his eyes. This man was so tall, he didn't need to move his head to see through the entire garage. "I need to find the drivers. I have already talked to Lewis, but George went off after the meeting. Do you know where he is?"

"Umm, I think preparing and doing reaction sets with his physiotherapist." I said honest.

"Oh ja, sure. He always does it." He looked at me and obviously thought about something. I just stood there and tried to not make any expression. Was he thinking about me and George? I know about his prep right now because he told me. But I am a physiotherapist as well. It might have mentioned someone else to me and there was nothing wrong with knowing.

"I want to invite him to dinner tonight. I thought it's a good idea since the race starts at 5PM and we can do most of the strategy meetings with the drivers tomorrow as the race starts so late and the weather situation is uncertain." He paused and was looking into my face as if he was searching for an answer there. Does he want me to react to this statement? What good idea it was? Or did he want to find a reaction that George would not have time for me then? I tried to keep my expression empty and just opened my mouth when he said: "Anyway, I will search for him now." He briefly put his hand on my shoulder while walking past me and I watched him walking away and allowed my confused expression to show.

The strange interaction with Toto was consuming my thoughts for the next minutes and I did not want to run into him again during qualifying. I decided to go to the area with the big screen and sit on one of the chairs watching the interviews and reportage in the pit lane. This was also of advantage as I would not only not run into Toto Wolff but would also be in no ones way. Especially I did not want to be around George in his final moments of preparation. He deserved to be fully concentrated. I watched all happenings on TV and saw the Mercedes cars leaving the garage on screen while hearing them next to me. Though I tried to listen and follow my thoughts went back to George, our session today and that we indeed will not be able to spend time anymore this weekend. But probably this meeting with Toto is a great opportunity for him to bond with him and strengthen their relationship. Even if his contract lasts for another year, Toto seems like a really good boss and mentor. I got torn from my thoughts as the mechanics around me that also watched the screens started shouting and cheering. Hamilton seems to had a good Q1 time. This took me back to reality and I looked at the clock on my phone. I need to go to the bathroom before I meet with Lisa again at 5PM. But when I looked at my phone messages from George prevented me to even look at the time. I quickly opened the phone and read them.

Indeed no voice mail - so sad

Toto just invited me to dinner tonight

With you