Chapter 1: This is Berk

——————————🔥——————————

"This is Berk."

A large rocky island sat in the middle of the water, surrounded by a thick fog. Two Viking statues carved out of large pointy rocks sticking up out of the ocean had their mouths hollowed out and there were two large fires burning in them, illuminating the night sky. The rocky island had a village built on top of it that was called Berk.

"It's twelve days North of hopeless and just South of freezing to death. It's located solidly on the meridian of misery."

Some lights were on in the little wooden houses, but outside it was quiet as can be. Not a soul in sight.

"My village. In a word, sturdy. It's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting and a charming view of the sunsets."

A small portion of the island held a little sheep pen where several sheep could be seen grazing and munching on grass.

"The only problems are the pests."

Suddenly, a creature with sharp claws swooped down and snatched a sheep right out of thin air.

"You see, most places have mice or mosquitos. We have..."

A young boy with short brown hair, wearing a green shirt, brown pants and boots with a fluffy vest opened the door to his house and saw several men run past screaming. A large creature with sharp teeth and horns stared at the boy and breathed fire at him. Luckily he was able to shut the door before he was burned.

"Dragons..." he whispered.

...

Outside, several people in horned helmets wielded swords and and shields and axes and began attacking the dragons, defending their crops and their livestock, as well as themselves.

"Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues."

The same boy ran out of his burning house and across the grassy fields as a man dropped in front of him.

"My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that already."

Hiccup was knocked to the ground and a man with a thick beard and an axe roared in his face.

"Mornin'." He smiled cheerfully.

Hiccup ran through the crowds and chaos around him, and the people he passed didn't seem too thrilled he was out.

"Hiccup!"

"What are you doing out here?"

"Get inside!"

Hiccup went to run forward, but a dragon swooped down and sprayed fire where he was about to stand. A large hand grabbed the back of his shirt and pulled him out of the way.

A tall, large man with a big bushy red beard held Hiccup up by his shirt.

"What is he doing...what are you doing out? Get inside!"