Chapter 11: The Nest

——————————🔥——————————

As the three of them soared through the night sky on Toothless, the reminder of the problem at hand came back to them.

"So what are you going to do?" Astro asked. "Hiccup, your final exam is tomorrow. You know you're gonna have to...kill a dragon." He whispered that last part.

"Don't remind me..."

Suddenly, Toothless veered to the side, startling all three of them.

"Woah!"

"Toothless what's wrong?"

Toothless dove into a thick fog, and as Astro, Hiccup and (Y/n) wondered what was going on, they saw a Monstrous Nightmare appear next to them holding a giant fish.

(Y/n) gasped, and Astro pulled her tight against him. "Get down." He muttered.

The three of them looked around nervously as dozens and dozens of dragons appeared in the fog around them, all of them carrying some type of food in their claws.

"What's going on?" Astro asked.

"I'm not sure. Toothless, you gotta get us out of here, bud." Hiccup requested.

Toothless shook his head, and kept flying, his eyes narrowed into slits.

"It looks like they're hauling in their kill." (Y/n) observed.

"Uh...what does that make us?" Astro wondered nervously.

Toothless dove lower to the ground as did the other dragons, and they all flew towards a giant rocky volcano and entered in through one of the cracks.

Inside was a large chasm filled with red smoke. There were hundreds of dragons inside and the ones that just flew in dropped their food down the smoke filled chasm.

"What my dad wouldn't give to find this." Hiccup commented.

Toothless flew a bit higher and learned on a ledge, hiding behind a rock pillar. The four of them peered around and watched as the dragons continued to dump their food into the fog.

"Well, it's satisfying to know that all our food is being dumped down a hole." Hiccup said sarcastically.

"They're not eating any of it." Astro noticed.

A little Gronckle flew over the fog and opened its mouth to reveal a small little fish. It spat it out into the fog, and something below growled.

Suddenly, a gigantic dragon head emerged from the fog and swallowed the Gronckle whole. The dragon, known as Red Death was a huge grey dragon with spikes and piercing red eyes, as well as a giant mouth filled with razor sharp teeth. Not to mention it was about a thousand times bigger than any of the other dragons.

"What is that...?" (Y/n) asked.

"I don't know." Hiccup responded.

The Red Death started sniffing the air, and Hiccup quickly realized it had picked up their scent.

"Alright bud, you gotta get us out of here. Now!" Hiccup encouraged.

Toothless flew off just as the dragon snapped at them. The other dragons flew away as well and started circling up and out of the top of the volcano. The Red Death made a grab for them again, but instead caught a Zippleback in its jaws and sank back down below the fog.

...

"No, it totally makes sense." Astro said as they landed back in the cove on the island. "It's like a giant beehive. They're the workers and that's their queen. It controls them." He leaped off of Toothless and started running toward the village. "Let's find your dad." He suggested.

"No, no! Not yet. They'll... kill Toothless." Hiccup pointed out. "Astro, we have to think this through carefully."

Astro looked at him incredulously. "Hiccup, we just discovered the dragons' nest...the thing we've been after since Vikings first sailed here. And you want to keep it a secret? To protect your pet dragon? Are you serious?"

"Yes." Hiccup states firmly.

Astro looked a bit taken aback but his bluntness, but nodded. "Okay."

"So, what are we going to do?" (Y/n) asked.

"Just give me until tomorrow. I'll figure something out." Hiccup reassured.

Suddenly, Astro walked forward and punched Hiccup in the arm. "That's for kidnapping me."

Toothless snorted from his spot by the lake.

Astro then looked to (Y/n) and pulled her close to him by the arm and planted his lips against hers, greatly surprising her.

"And that's for everything else." He added.

(Y/n) shook her head to get out of her stunned state and smiled shyly at him.

As Astro left (Y/n) stared after him with a dreamy look on her face. Toothless and Hiccup came right up next to her and stared at her, both imitating the her smitten look.

"W-What are you looking at?" She snapped.

She started walking away, leaving a snickering Toothless and Hiccup behind.

——————————🔥——————————