Chapter 1

Thanks for 300 reads already!!! I know how dramatic and angsty the prologue was, and yeah, it will kind of be like that for a little while but don't start hating Derek. You will love Adrian right off the bat I'll tell you that. Derek might piss you off a lil. Anyways, without further ado, here's chapter one.

Trigger warning: Homophobic slur. I'm sorry guys, but this is kind of the direction that the story is gonna go. I don't want to have to write that word, but the storyline needs it. 

Adrian's POV

Y'all already know who I am, right?

If you don't, my name is Adrian Sanders. I will be playing safety for UCLA this season, hopefully starting, but I don't know. I'm not complaining either way, I'm just glad to be going to the same college as all of my closest friends.

I started last year still very much closeted and not really excited about people's reaction to me being gay. I like dudes. But Tate McRae could change that to be honest, she is really one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life. 

Anyways, I'm finishing up my time at a football camp right now. I needed to put on more muscle before the start of the season, so I went to a camp with other people in the same boat as me. I'm by far the best player here though. I thought I needed work to get bigger, but some of these guys are making me question how much strength you need to have to play football. Most of them are the same age as me and are going to college. They all look like fucking twigs. I'm not skinny, like I have plenty of muscle, but I'm not ripped like Cameron or Aaron or Derek. 

Speaking of the three of them, Cameron and Aaron are dating, and they are the cutest couple I've ever seen. They're literally perfect for each other. I've never seen them fight. Whenever they're around each other, which is basically all the time, they are holding hands, hugging, all of that nice shit. I'm so happy for them. 

I was so surprised when Cam kissed Aaron after the last play of the championship game, but I immediately felt amazing for both of them. Cam never jumped out to me as the romantic type. He always seemed like a bachelor for life, just bonking girls for the rest of his life (don't tell him I thought he was a slut).

Aaron has always seemed like more of a romantic. He never randomly hooked up with girls or boys, so I was less surprised when he told us that he dated Jason. But for Cam and Aaron to be dating is crazy. They hated each other for so long, and suddenly they are the healthiest couple in the school. 

Then we get to Derek. I walked in on him fucking some random guy on graduation day. He knows damn well I saw enough to know what was going on. He came out to me months before I walked in on him, but when I brought up that he came out to me, he denied it. 

I came out near the end of the school year with some help from Aaron, who is honestly pretty awesome. He's such a good person. Cam and Aaron deserve each other. 

Anyways, now Derek knows full well that I know he's gay. I decided to go to this football camp because I didn't want to stay in the same house as him for 10 fucking weeks. I was not super happy about it because I didn't want to have to avoid everyone else, I love all of them, but I know that every interaction that I could've had with Derek would've been so awkward. The tension between the two of us could've really killed both of us. 

I assume that he doesn't want me telling anyone. I know he has a super religious mom that he lives with, so that's kind of an issue I don't want to have to exacerbate. I would never out anyone and I hope that once school starts at UCLA, he knows that and will trust me. 

Anyways, coming out was, or should've, been a good idea. My parents supported me, they still do, they haven't changed a single thing about how they treat me, which is exactly what I wanted. My high school teammates were super cool about it too. I shouldn't have been surprised. Aaron really blazed the path for me to be okay with other people knowing because the team didn't really mind that he's bisexual.