Chapter 9 - Hope for a better future

The few past days have been a bit strange for Nightmare. He cannot stop thinking about his past. Even when tries to distract himself, it always comes back. He feels like he can't even enjoy his books that much anymore.

He remembers being quite happy that the villagers won't bother him ever again. Dream trying to spend every moment with him was also nice. Truthfully he would like to go back to that...But he just doesn't feel that great lately. It doesn't even help that Dream is tiptoeing around him. His brother might think that Nightmare doesn't notice it, but he can tell. Dream acts now so careful with him. Probably worried he'll say the wrong thing. Is his brother scared of him? Is he afraid that Nightmare will lash out again? These thoughts have been plaguing his mind a lot lately.

He now also has a therapist. They are supposed to be someone he can speak to about his problems and feelings. Though the issue is that he doesn't know how to talk about that with someone he just met. How is he supposed to trust someone he barely knows? He didn't even trust Dream with his issues back then.

So most of the sessions are spent with a very awkward atmosphere. The therapist is clearly trying to be understanding and reassure him that they are not a threat and he can freely bring up his problems with them. But it is not that easy.

-

Nightmare sighed from relief when his therapist finally left the room. It went like it always does. Awkward. As he already expected, a few minutes later the door opened again and Dream entered the room. The golden skeleton then greeted him with a smile and tried to initiate a conversation.

"So how was your therapy session today?" His brother asked.

"The same as usual. Nothing much." Nightmare answered and Dream slightly frowned at that. "Well, maybe the next one will be better." The golden guardian said, trying to stay positive. "Maybe" Nightmare mumbled.

"Anyways I have been thinking. It has been a while since you've been out. We could go for a walk in the nearby park, what do you say?" Dream asked, hoping that it would lift Nightmare's mood. The dark guardian blinked in surprise. "Yeah, that would be nice." Night quietly answered. Dream then went right away to get the wheelchair.

A small smile crept up on Nightmare's face as his brother pushed him through the park.The fresh air, the light wind, the birds singing. He missed this.

As they slowly went down the path he caught a glimpse of small kids. Not that further away from them were a bunch of children running around. They seem to be playing tag. As he watches them it reminded him of himself and his brother. They used to be just two little kids playing games, teasing each other, exploring the world around them. Such a good memories... A small frown appeared on his face. These times are over, aren't they? They aren't children anymore. It's weird to think about it. It's like he was six years old just yesterday and now he is supposed to be a grown up and Dream as well.

He was suddenly snapped from his thoughts when they came to a stop. He looked around and realized they arrived at their favorite spot that is in the more peaceful part of the park. Dream then sat down on the small bench that was next to his wheelchair. Both of them just sat there, enjoying nature in comfortable silence.

"This is pretty nice, isn't it?" Dream broke the silence and looked at him. "...Yeah, it is." Nightmare responds with a small smile. His mind has been a mess lately and having this quiet moment is just comforting.

Dream can't help but smile at Nightmare's happiness. His brother has been pretty down lately, so it's nice to see him so relaxed. Though there is also something else he would like to do.

"I think I should finally give you this." Dream said as he reached into the small bag he brought with him. Nightmare looked at him curiously. The golden skeleton pulled out a golden crown with an engraved moon. "I found it and I
thought that you should have it back." Dream said as he gave it to Nightmare.