Chapter 1

Hot shot is five years old. He lives with his father Heatwave and his mother Quickshadow. They live in Fort Worth Texas. They all live very happy and normal lives there. They all love each other very much and are very close.

Heatwave is a firefighter. He works for a local fire department. He is very strong and brave. He has helped save many lives during his line of work. He has the respect of his fellow firefighters and the fire chief. He also has the respect of his fellow first responders. He loves Quickshadow and Hot shot very much.

Quickshadow is a nurse. She works as a pediatric nurse for Cook Children's hospital. She works in the oncology unit of the hospital. She has helped many children by giving them their treatments and medicines. She fears that some day that this could be her child. She knew for a fact that cancer didn't care who it strikes. Her coworkers could understand her worries. She loves Heatwave and Hot shot with all of her heart. 

Hot shot is a very playful and active child. He loves to run, jump, climb and play. He is a very active and playful little boy who doesn't sit still for a second. Hot shot is a boy who is always on the move and enjoys it very much. He loves to run and play a lot. Hot shot enjoys sports, his favorite sport is baseball, his favorite team is the Texas Rangers. Hot shot's favorite color is yellow. Hot shot's favorite animal is a rhino. Hot shot's favorite food is Fish and chips. Hot shot's favorite ice cream is cookie dough. Hot shot also likes Pokemon a lot too. Hot shot either wants to be a firefighter like his father, or a baseball player, or a zookeeper who works with rhinos, or something in the medical field like his mother. Hot shot is full of hopes and dreams. Hot shot is a very kind, caring, loving and generous little boy with a great big heart. Hot shot loves to spend time with his friends and family.

There were other relatives too. There were his grandparents on his father's side who he calls Granny and Pawpaw who live in Portland Maine. There were his grandparents on his mother's side who he calls Granddad and Grandmum who live in London England. He had his Aunt Hightemp who was his father's sister, his uncle Blazestrike who was his father's brother-in-law, and three cousins, Heatup, Heatstroke and Blazestrike Jr. they live in Atlanta Georgia. He had his uncle Murray who is his mother's twin brother who lives in Hollywood California. They all are close and tightknit family who sees each other whenever possible. Hot shot loves to spend time with his family.

There were some close family friends as well. Chase, Blades and Boulder were good friends with Heatwave. They had been friends with Heatwave since they were young children. They were good friends with the family and came around during special occasions. They were called uncles by Hot shot out of affection.

Hot shot has always been a very healthy and playful child. He gets bumps scrapes and bruises on occasion. But that was normal with an highly active child like Hot shot. Hot shot has never been to the ER. Hot shot also hadn't been to the doctor for any sick visits. He went for healthy check ups and that was about it. Whenever Hot shot got sick it was only a minor cold or a tummy ache which he got over really quick. Hot shot was just an all around wonderfully healthy child. That made both of his parents very happy too. They loved their son very much and were glad he was such a healthy child.

They were living a very normal and happy life together and they didn't think things could ever go wrong for any of them. Life was just going well and they thought it was going to stay that way for them.

However things can change in a heartbeat and that kind of change will not be an easy thing. It will be a time when friends and family are needed the most.

Hot shot woke up one morning in early May. Things seemed to be alright. Hot shot was looking forward to this new day. It looked very pretty outside the sun was shining the birds were singing too. Hot shot got out of bed and was eager to go out and play after breakfast. Hot shot soon noticed he had a bad headache. He didn't know why his head was hurting it just was. Hot shot wasn't too happy about it. Then Hot shot went to go have his breakfast.