Chapter six

KHALIL

It's draining having to wake up every day early in the morning, it's also draining to wake up and know you are about to re-live your yesterday. It's not like it bothers me but I feel I can predict every move of my day, to me it is just a copy-paste of yesterday, a loop.

Today, I'll take you through the predictable rhythm of my life.

As always, Idris and I begin our day with Fajr prayers at the community mosque, our footsteps echoing in the pre-dawn stillness.

The air is hushed, and the only sound is the soft murmur of our recitations. We linger there, immersed in Duas and the soothing verses of the Holy Quran, until the first light of dawn begins to filter through the windows.

On our way back, Idris turns to me with a familiar question. “Have you recited the Dua for leaving the mosque?” His words hang in the air, but I offer only a silent nod, a practiced response that conveys a reassurance I'm not quite ready to voice.

As I enter my room, I swiftly shed the jubbah I wore to the mosque and dash into the bathroom, relishing the playful slide across the slippery tiles like a carefree child.

The rush of water in the shower washes over me, a brief moment of unadulterated freedom. When I step out, I meet the last child, sadiya, my younger sister, showing me a sideview picture she took this morning– that looks like the one an Instagram model took and has her tons of likes. I'm obviously never interested, so I take her phone and play keep-away until she gets upset, and run out yelling ‘I'm a mean brother.’ I exhale a sigh as she leaves and get on with my necessaries.

Glancing at the mirror, I take in the sight of my meticulously arranged uniform, the epitome of perfection. My bag hangs effortlessly from my shoulder, and the stark contrast of my white socks against the polished black canvas shoes exudes an air of immaculate precision.

The facade of a tremendous student, meticulously crafted and flawlessly executed.

The perfect student!

I look at the veiw of my room and heave a sigh, taking a mental note to take clean it immediately I get back. As I stand in front of Idris and Iman's room, I follow the familiar routine of three precise knocks. The first knock elicits silence, the second hints at movement behind the door, and at the third,

3…2…1.. the door swings open, and I'm promptly pulled in by the ear. “What were you doing? You took longer than usual,” Iman chides as she drags me to the center of the carpeted room.

“Sit!” she commands, though I never comply fully, instead I sit on one leg and fold the other.

Iman begins reciting Duas, later prompting me to reply “Ameen” at each pause. Meanwhile, Idris casually glances at me while adorning his accessories.

“Tell me the truth,” Iman starts, but I interject without hesitation, “I haven't. It's a promise I made, and I won't break it.” Iman's expression stiffens.

“you better not!” she caution, suddenly changing her expression, “Oh my baby, I'm so proud of you, you had to go through this much.” she pulls me in for a hug and I know she's trying to take in my scent just to make sure I did have any this morning. She goes back to sit, and when Idris turns to look at her, she smiles. In other words, translated as “all clear today.”

Idris waves me off, as I make my way to the door, Idris cautions me, “You shouldn't even think of it. That's how it is, even if it weren't a promise. Now, be a good child and make friends.” I assert, “I refuse,” and exit the room, overhearing Idris mutter, “Tsk, what child I've birthed.”

~~~

“If only you know how I took that picture, eeh! I love it! I can do one for you if you want, you should come over after school……” Sadiya is on the phone.

“I've said it already, I won't sell it! It's my work. Leave me to make the decision, I already told Mr Lawal I would not… Put me on with Benita… Of course now!” Iman's on call too.

Idris has already gone without anybody knowing when, always in a hurry to get to the firm.

“so, anything you want to talk about? Seeing how busy they both are.” Asmah, the first child and my elder sister wave a smile at me. She's in her famously light blue nurse's attire, her wrist is strapped with the gold watch her fiancé bought her. She really loves displaying that hand.

I stand and leave for my bag on the kitchen counter, I expect lunch inside.

I don't say anything until I'm out of sight, but not out of earshot, “Stop acting like you care, you're a bad person and you know that.” and I leave.

I'm here early as usual, early that I am the first person in class. The late January breeze is colder than normal, sending shivers down my spine, and for a reason, I have a feeling it might start to rain by next month… I'm not a fan of rainy days.

I go to the window of the class to have another look at my perfect looks, it is almost as good as a mirror. While viewing myself, I see a blue spiralbound notebook out side by the window but I give no attention to it.

The class is slowly getting full by the time I sit, now I have my math textbook open as for I was ready. A pair feminine hands drop on my book, it's Fatima, she sighs and says,

“good morning! reading maths this early? Is that even good?” I don't say anything, but she continues to talk, “grouchy as usual, I just brought back the pen I borrow yesterday,”

Being that my hand is on the table, she pulls my fingers apart and place the pen inside, closing them back.

I just watched her audacious action. I'm dumbstruck.

“Try smiling, Iman would love to hear that.” she walks away, still turning to glance at me with a smile as she walks, as if her borrowed pen could ever make a difference to me. I pray she falls.

I face my books, but now, I'm left with the feeling of what will happen next, because this is the part my yesterday stop being a yesterday but a today, why……

She walks into the class at 8:15, which is the earliest she has been seen I knew her, she goes around playing like a child with the rest of the class.

I glance at my watch, it's 8:55, class should have started a while ago. I look up to see her finally taking her seat in front of me, wearing a smile on her round fat ugly face that I wish wasn't directed at me, AZEEZA!. I thought she wants nothing to do with me after I made it clear to her that I don't need her bother.

“Morning!” She sounds overly excited, but I don't reply.

“Today, you won't get on my badside you meany black hair, because today nothing will make me angry, you know why?“ She pause to clap her glossy lips “because I was given the honour to keep the files that'll be presented in today's schools meeting” she brings out a brown oversized envelope, “they are all here!“ She pats it and turns to sit properly.

I can't fathom why she thinks this has anything to do with me. Like I'd care.

The class rep comes and announce that classes won't start early because of the meeting most academic staffs have with other schools, the annual schools meeting. Minutes after the announcement, Azeeza grabs her brown envelope and dashes out, leaving me to contemplate the absurdity of her actions.

Today is missing something.

Hello, hello(⁠^⁠▽⁠^⁠),

So we finally get to hear what's going on in Khalil's mind. *Hehe*

Tell me what you think, I got the male voice, right?!

Too bad if he sounds like a female bad boy. *Nervous sweat*

But I still hope you like it.

See you around.

Vote. Comment. Share.

~Love y'all ♥ funraita