Chapter fourteen

I never intended to provoke Mariya, I was simply being honest, hoping to make her see her own mistakes. But somehow, my words seemed to add fuel to her already blazing anger.

Well, at a point it became mutual because as Mariya's wrong accusations continued, a fire of frustration ignited within me.

Khalid attempted to intervene, but it was clear that even he couldn't rein in his sister.

“Being bribed by some filthy cake, reducing our levels to beggars, and chasing us out at the first place—is that your word for moral and respect?” Mariya spat, her eyes flashing with fury as she nearly lunges at me. Khalid pulls her back, struggling to calm her down.

“I refuse to let a scoundrel like him belittle me, Hannan. If you are okay with it, then I'm not. I know my worth. Cause this house, this thing that he's flaunting, lifting his shoulders up for, my father could buy four times it's price and more.” Mariya seethe.

“Guys, please, let's calm down!” Khalid attempts to mediate, though his true desire was to return to his football game.

“Get in, Hannan, now!” she barks, but I stand to my ground.

“Mariya, you are getting worked-up over nothing. I only asked for an apology, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't like in any sort of way how you treated Khalil, even after he'd apologize. It was sincere.” I try to reason, my own anger simmering beneath the surface.

Mariya sighs and her face softens, “Oh, Hannan, Hannan, why?! Why most you be so dumb and stupid? It's all a charade. This is what he wants, naive children like you, can't you see? He's using your niceness against you.” she speaks with a chilling calmness making her insult more audacious. “Now, be a good little girl and, get. In.” she hiss.

“N. O!” I literally scream. I try to breathe, but I inhale sharply. A huge lump holding the weight of my anger as my bile rise. I ball my hand to a fist and clench my jaw. My eyes sting with tears as I try to hold them back.

“I'm sick. I'm sick and tired of your rude and domineering attitude. All I'm trying to do is make you see the good in others, even if it's just a little. But no, oh no, you are the one always in the know-how, you're always correct, and never wrong.” I roar, my voice trembling in anger. I don't know what has gotten into me, but I can't stop it. Not now.

“Your behaviour is to judge even the slightest mistake. For once, can't you be nicer? can't you ever stop being judge-y and listen?” I sigh in exasperation, “Hauling me up and down, telling everyone what to do, disregarding the boundaries of people's emotions, acting like you know best when you don't… do you want me to keep going?” I say, drifting to another topic, but I had to, keeping it in now would mean I would keep it in forever. “And I'd like to correct you, I'm not a little child.”

A minute of silence passes by, heavy with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. My chest heaves up and down, and I try to calm my nerves. Mariya's eyes are huge and her jaw is slacked, taken aback by my outburst, but quickly, she snaps out of her trance, her face is contorted with anger.

“Two,” she gestures the number to my face. “Two years, Hannan. It's enough for you to bow and accept my demands ” she spat.

My jaw tightens. “I don't see you licking Khalid's shoes.” I sneer and she growls, her expression becoming venomous.

“You know what, Hannan? Be it, be what ever you want. Go!” she screams “Go stay with your Khalil. I'm done with this friendship. Done!” she stares at me dead in the eyes, eyes that didn't look like hers. Her fair skinned face resembling what I remember as crimson. She's never been this angered before.