Chapter 4: Building Trust

Camp Alnus, 5th Division HQ

March, 27, 2028 06:03 (27th day of the Crescent Moon 638)

Upon returning to base with the refugees, 3rd Recon and Bravo 1 were met by a displeased Major Higaki and a bemused Josiah Caldwell.

Higaki: What the hell are you two doing?!

Itami: Uhhh were we not supposed to bring them here?

Adam: We're just following the Geneva Conventions, sir

Adam's uncharacteristic demeanor surprised Itami; he had always perceived Special Forces operatives as composed and detached and never questioned orders. Witnessing Adam's perceived insurbordination was truly unexpected.

Higaki: Goddamn it, Captain please talk some sense into your subordinate!

Caldwell: Sorry, that's just how he is major. I can't do anything about it, plus they're civilians we are naturally obliged to protect them

Higaki: I guess you're right Captain, you two stay put after returning your gear and send a report to the general

As they were stepping out of the room Itami wanted to ask Adam why he was acting the way he did but he refused to answer

Dispatch to Special Region HQ, Camp Alnus

March, 27, 2028 06:33 (27th day of the Crescent Moon 638)

General Hazama scrutinized the array of reports from the recon teams alongside his adjutant, Lieutenant Akira Yanagida. However, one report, specifically from the 3rd Deep Recon Team, which included American personnel, seized his attention. He intentionally placed the Americans there to monitor the notoriously lax 1st Lieutenant Yoji Itami and ensure he didn't mishandle the initial contact.

Hazama: So it was the 3rd recon that brought refugees to Alnus Hill huh?

Yanagida: Yes sir, it seems like the American attaches also supported the choice to help them

Hazama: Hmm...I agree that helping refugees is a priority but taking them in? 

Yanagida: Sir, I believe this presents a unique opportunity. Reports can only provide limited insights into the culture of these individuals. If we opt to help them, we can directly engage them for valuable information.

Hazama: I agree with your assessment Lieutenant but do we even have enough food and shelter to provide for them?

Yanagida: The food problem won't be an issue sir, with the help of the Americans our logistics are in perfect shape. we have enough food, medical supplies, and tents. Hell, I heard they even want to set up a Burger King here

Hazama: Sighs That's what being a global superpower gets you I guess, Okay. let's start providing adequate living quarters and food for them.

Yanagida: Yes sir

After receiving orders from the general himself to start providing aid to the refugees Major Higaki ordered Itami and Adam to distribute aid immediately

Itami: Man... this sucks

Adam: do you want to help these people or not?

Itami: of course I do! but still, the paperwork is going to be atrocious

Adam: And that's why I never went the officer route

???: Hey you two

As they pivoted towards the sound of the voice, they caught sight of Lieutenant Yanagida casually seated in a chair in the hallway, enjoying a smoke as if expecting their arrival.