Chapter 8: Siege of Italica Part 4

East Gate, Italica

March, 29, 2028 03:53 (29th day of the Crescent Moon 638)

Hearing the voice of Skiff made Adam smile with a certain feeling of nostalgia. He quickly pressed the push to talk on his radio.

Adam: Skiff? what the hell are you doing out here?

Skiff: Yeah, it's me. We'll catch up later. Right now, focus on staying safe. Backup's en route, ETA five minutes via helicopters. Those explosions you're seeing? Don't sweat it. We're just clearing the path for the birds. Hang tight, Bravo one-one.

Adam: Copy that, Skiff. Thanks for the heads up. We'll hold the fort until backup arrives. Stay safe out there.

Itami: Who was that on the radio, Adam?

Adam: Oh, just an old friend, Skiff. We go way back. Nothing to worry about.

Itami: Skiff, huh? Sounds like a code name.

Adam: Yeah, you could say that. Anyway, backup's on its way. Five minutes out, helicopters.

Itami: What about those explosions?

Adam: Don't worry. They're just clearing the path for the birds. We'll be fine.

Itami nodded, his expression grave yet resolute.

Itami: Alright, listen up, everyone. We're splitting into two teams. Nishina, you take two with you and evacuate the wounded. Move quickly and stay low.

Nishina: Copy that, Itami. We're on it.

Itami turned to the remaining members of the team, his gaze firm.

Itami: The rest of us will help the defenders hold the line until the helicopters arrive. Fix bayonets and get ready for close combat. Kuribayashi, you're on point.

Kuribayashi nodded sharply, her eyes focused and determined.

Kuribayashi: Understood, sir. I'll lead the way.

Itami: Remember, we're buying time for the wounded to get out and for our backup to arrive. Stay close and watch each other's backs. We move on my mark.

The team quickly fixed their bayonets, the metallic clicks echoing in the tense atmosphere. Adam, standing next to Itami, felt a surge of determination. They had to hold their ground.

Itami: Alright, let's move out!

Kuribayashi took point, her movements swift and sure as the team advanced towards the frontline. The sound of battle filled the air, but the team's resolve remained unshaken. As they reached the defensive positions, they could see the unmistakable silhouette of Rory Mercury as she cut down multiple bandits at once

Without hesitation, Kuribayashi charged in to assist Rory, her bayonet gleaming in the dim light. Together, they became a whirlwind of destruction, seamlessly taking out the bandits with a combination of skill and ferocity.

The rest of the team stood momentarily dumbfounded by their actions, unable to process the sheer intensity of the scene unfolding before them. Adam snapped out of it first, his voice cutting through the chaos.

Adam: Cover them! Provide suppressing fire!

The team immediately responded, raising their weapons and laying down a barrage of suppressing fire to protect Kuribayashi and Rory. Bullets whizzed past, forcing the remaining bandits to take cover.

Itami: Keep up the fire! We need to buy them more time!

Adam: Stay focused, everyone! We hold this position no matter what!