Chapter 9: Siege of Italica Conclusion

Formal Family Castle, Italica

March, 29, 2028 07:18 (29th day of the Crescent Moon 638)

Pina sits by a large, ornate window, her gaze distant as she looks out over the quiet town below. The soft light of the setting sun casts a golden glow over her, highlighting the intricate details of her regal armor. Her shoulders are slumped, the weight of the metal adding to her sense of melancholy and introspection.

Pina: It's strange. We should be celebrating. The town and the people are safe... but why does it feel like a defeat?

Hamilton sits across from Princess Pina, her expression mirroring her solemnity. She gazes at Pina with empathy, understanding the weight of her words.

Hamilton: It's because we've seen what lies beyond our world's capabilities, haven't we, Princess? Their power... It's overwhelming. We fought with all our might, yet in the end, it was their strength that turned the tide.

She pauses, her voice tinged with a mix of frustration and resignation.

Hamilton: I thought we were prepared. But facing them... it was like trying to hold back a tide with our bare hands. Our victory feels hollow, overshadowed by what we've witnessed.

Princess Pina nods slowly, her gaze still fixed on the horizon outside the window.

Pina: It's as if our struggles and sacrifices weren't enough. Like we were merely bystanders in our own battle, watching as others determined the outcome.

She shifts uncomfortably in her armor, the weight of it becoming more pronounced as the reality of their situation sinks in deeper.

Pina: Our people look to us for leadership and protection. How can we guide them when we ourselves feel... powerless?

Myui, who had been silently observing the exchange, steps forward. Her youthful face shows relief rather than the somber introspection of Pina and Hamilton. 

Myui: Princess Pina, Lady Hamilton, I understand your feelings. But shouldn't we also be grateful for what we have achieved? The town is safe, our people are unharmed. Isn't that what truly matters?

Her words are gentle, yet there is a subtle edge to them. Pina's eyes narrow as she turns to face Myui, her anger flaring up once more.

Pina: Grateful? Grateful for what, Myui? For standing helplessly while others fought our battles? For being shown time and again how insignificant our might is?

Her voice rises, echoing through the room. The golden light from the setting sun catches the fire in her eyes, illuminating the depth of her frustration and anger. She paces back and forth, her armor clinking with each step, adding to the tension in the room.

Pina: We are leaders! We are supposed to be the ones protecting our people, not relying on outsiders! How can we face them with pride when we know it was not our strength that saved them?

Hamilton looks at Pina, a mixture of concern and understanding in her eyes.

Hamilton: My lady...

Before the situation escalated further, the heavy wooden door creaked open, and Grey entered the room.

Grey: Princess Pina, Lady Hamilton, Myui. The leaders of the otherworlders have requested an audience with you.

The room fell silent. The weight of Grey's words hung in the air, causing a shift in the atmosphere. Pina's anger momentarily dissipated, replaced by a mix of curiosity and apprehension.