You dont have to be alone

Todd tried to enter as discreetly as possible, not wanting to wake Neil who had fallen asleep while reading, but that was without counting the slam of the doorknob.  His roommate opened his eyes, blinded by the light.

N-Todd?

The latter turned his head to the opposite, trying to hide his split pound still full of blood.

N-Todd?  What's the matter?

T- Nothing, nothing, everything is fine, sorry for waking you up.

Neil practically jumped up to approach his roommate who once again tried to turn his head.  Neil delicately grabbed Todd's chin so he could see him from across the way, a worried expression on his face.  He ran his thumb over the injured lower lip, Todd didn't react, his cheeks too much on fire.  He ended up turning his head slightly again to avoid eye contact with Neil as the latter asked in a concerned tone:

N- What happened?  Who did this to you?

T- Nobody, I said it's okay

Neil ran to the bathroom to dampen a cloth and came back, preparing to treat Todd himself.

N- Why did they hit you?  You know you can tell me if they bother you!

He tried to bring the cloth to his friend's mouth but the latter took the cloth from his hands with an angry look.

T- It's okay Neil, I.  I can take care of myself

N-....
    No

T-Neil...

The latter gently collected the fabric before bringing it back to his friend's mouth.

N- You can, but that doesn't mean you have to.

Todd couldn't stop his eyes from smiling, touched by the attention his comrade gave him, and the gentleness with which he treated his wound.  Neil did not take his eyes off Todd's mouth, these gestures being careful not to hurt him, but a reassuring smile appeared on his face, being aware that Todd's eyes did not leave him for a second, a comfortable silence ensued.  followed for a few seconds.

A knocking noise sounded half a second before Charlie suddenly entered the room shouting "EEEEEAT", Todd turned his head again trying to hide as best he could behind Neil while the latter moved a little away from the blond.  Charlie's excited expression turned to questioning at the sight of the blood-soaked fabric.

C- Hey well!  Which one of you is on his deathbed?

He entered the room completely, leaving space for the others to enter as well.  Todd, knowing that it was inevitable, turned slowly towards them waiting for their reactions.

C- Oh damn!  They didn't miss you!

K- Who did this to you?

G- Are you okay man?

Todd didn't know what question to start with anymore, he tried to calm the situation, feeling uncomfortable himself in front of so much attention.

T- It's okay guys, it's good.  It was just a bad joke.

C- Nah!  No one touches a member of the Dead Poet Society!!

T- It's okay Charlie, don't worry I'm used to it.

A second of hesitation passed, the others not really knowing what to say until Richard asked, laughing:

R- What were you bullied or something like that?

Another blank second passed, no one dared to speak and Todd suddenly felt very uncomfortable, lots of bad memories suddenly coming back to him.  The silence was filled very quickly by the movement of Neil who went to put down the damp laundry and grab his jacket as well as Todd's.

N- Okay, shall we eat?  We'll think about a way to show the power of the Dead Poet Society!

Everyone left the room, Todd and Neil last, the blond gave a smile of thanks to the brunet for getting him out of this embarrassing situation.

C- Could we fill their bed with dead leaves?

K- Bring in the leaves without getting us dirty?

C- Don't look so reluctant!  We could put jam in their beds!

G- Or whoopee cushions under the foam of their seats.

M- Come on we can do better! What about....

The whole journey fueled new ideas to show their desire for revenge, Charlie and Neil jumping like children every time the idea appealed to them, and for the first time, Todd felt surrounded.