beauty of life

Todd and Neil were supporting a slightly drunk Charlie on either side and trying to get to the dormitories as discreetly as possible.  They passed by the lake and had to pause for Charlie to hug the nearest tree.

C- CaRpE DiEm my FriEeeNds!

T- Shhht Charlie, we're gonna get caught

Todd runs towards him to get him and bring him back to the path but Neil hadn't moved, he looked at the tree above him as if seeing it for the first time.

N-  It beautiful?

T- Neil wh-

N- The trees! Their color! It's magic...I love autumn's colors, and the smell!! Guys can you smell it?

C- Hey, I didn't know you had drunk too man!

T- What are you talking about?

N- But Carpe Diem! Seize the day Charlie is true, look around you! It feels so alive, so much beauty in nature! Imagine the beauty we could create with this! Life is....

T- full of beauty?

N- Yes!! Yeah. Guys if one day everything stops, promise me you'll see the beauty of life...

Charlie and Todd exchange a look, but Neil seemed so moved and serious that they silently decided not to ask questions and appreciate the moment and the beauty of what their friend had just said.

C- We will

T- We'll try.
Now come on we're gonna get cold.

Neil finally looked back at them with a tender smile and ran towards them to place himself next to Charlie.

C- I dOn't NeEd yoUr Help! I caN WaLk by MysElf.

Neil and Todd let him go, take a step back to get him up and stand on his own, the latter collapsed on the ground the next second shouting "man down" Todd and Neil exchange an amused look before picking up their friend who continues  to cry about the cruel abandonment he had just experienced and the fall to the ground which could have been fatal to him!
The next day when Neil woke up, he found an orange-colored leaf placed on his bedside table.