chapter 1: History lesson

"Long ago, amidst the relentless turmoil of endless wars, humanity faced a cataclysmic event that forever altered the course of history. Amidst the chaos of the largest battlefield, where blood mingled with ashes and flames danced in the air, an unprecedented phenomenon unfolded. A portal, born from the convergence of carnage and devastation, tore open the fabric of reality, offering a glimpse into another world.

In the wake of this surreal spectacle, a towering, enigmatic entity emerged, dwarfing even the tallest among humanity, possessed of monstrous strength that defied comprehension. Faced with this unfathomable threat, humanity found itself united in a desperate struggle against this colossal adversary, waging a battle that claimed the lives of hundreds. Yet, despite the staggering cost, victory eventually graced their efforts, as the beast was brought low by the collective resolve of humankind.

But victory was fleeting, for from the depths of the portal emerged a legion of smaller yet equally formidable monstrosities, their numbers swelling with each passing moment. Overwhelmed and outmatched, humanity found itself teetering on the brink of annihilation, as the creatures seized control of the land, ushering in an era where humans, once the apex predators, now faced the grim prospect of becoming prey.

Amidst the chaos and despair, a glimmer of hope emerged from the darkness. It was discovered that the strange energies emanating from the portal, combined with the primal instincts of survival, had bestowed upon select individuals extraordinary abilities, dubbed "limits." These newfound powers, ranging from the ability to levitate to mastery over fire, granted humanity a fighting chance against the encroaching darkness.

As time passed, the number of individuals manifesting these limits grew, with nearly ninety percent of the population wielding these newfound abilities. Some limits were common, empowering their bearers with enhanced strength or agility, while others were as unique as the individuals themselves, granting control over the elements or the weather there were even abilities that had to match certain criteria in order to activate, gaming the strength of a monster by drinking its blood.

Yet, even as humanity honed their newfound abilities in the crucible of war, the threat of the monsters loomed large. After two centuries of relentless conflict, the creatures were driven back to their realm, forced to retreat through the shattered remnants of the main portal. However, the respite was short-lived, as new portals, both blue and red, began to appear randomly across the world. Blue portals were gates to another world that only humans could pass by, whereas red gates allowed monsters from another world into ours.

In this turbulent new era, humanity adapted, forming a specialized caste of individuals known as "restrictors." Tasked with safeguarding society from those who would misuse their limits, these brave souls stood as the vanguard against the encroaching darkness, their valor and sacrifice ensuring that humanity would never again be caught unprepared in the face of adversity. "

I usually hate listening to stories, especially involving history. But the story of the dark void and the creation of limits has always caught my attention. Unfortunately, I've had the worst of both worlds: my father was killed in an accident within a blue portal where he worked as a resource manager mining for glowstones. Not long after that, my mother was killed by a bunch of thugs trying to rob a bank with their limits. It's probably because of this that I decided to become a restrictor and help fight both villains and monsters. Kinda cliche but it's what I want.

This was my first year in high school and, to be honest, my class looked rather dull. This year is typically to teach us as much academics as possible before we decide what career path we want to take. I'm fortunate enough to be located at the back of the classroom where I can analyze my future competition along with my prospective comrades. But to be completely honest, my class is dull. No one seems interesting at all; I mean, what the hell is this? They look so bored. Do they not understand that this is an important time in our lives? Oh well, I realize that I'm much more mature than these bozos anyway. They probably don't know the meaning of this year. Hmmm, although one person caught my eye. He has long spiky hair, but he seemed to be the only other person interested in what's happening in class. Although I can't be entirely sure through the look of his hands and his shoulders, I can tell he works out, but at such a young age. I've always been told that it could stunt my growth, and believe me, I want to be as tall as I can for the ladies... I mean, for the advantage in battle.

It's the end of the first lesson, and the teacher has just asked for a vote on who wants to be a restrictor. I'm a bit shy to put my hand up, but I mean, here goes nothing. "Ah, Kai, you want to be a restrictor? Very good." "Uhh, yes sir, I want to be the strongest." OMG, what did I just say? I'm so embarrassed; I can't believe I actually said that. Maybe I'm not as mature as I thought. Sigh. Everyone around me started and started laughing, but suddenly, to my surprise, the kid who had caught my eye earlier also raised his hand. He seemed just as shy as me, but I couldn't really see his face. "Ah, you want to be one too? Are you sure it's not too much for you?" said the teacher. What did he just say? That was a totally different response than what he gave me, and it was way harsher. Shortly after, a few kids gathered around my desk.

"Hey, I'm Dominic, but you can call me Dom. I think it's really cool that you're trying to become a restrictor. Do you know how hard it is?"

"Ahh, of course I do, but I'm gonna train hard and fortunately for me, my limit is strong too."

Dom - "Wow, show me your limit, please... actually, never mind. I'll wait till limit training."

Kai - "Yeah, sure, no problem."

"Hey, you can call me Ab. I'm looking forward to working with you in the future," said with a grin on his face.

Kai - "Oh, are you gonna become a restrictor too?"

Ab - "Yeah, well, I'mma try at least. But my limit ain't that great, and it's pretty common, so I don't know if I'll make the cut."

Kai - "Ah, well, do your best, lol."

I noticed as I was having conversations with new and bright people, the other kid who also put his hand up with me seemed lonely. Maybe it was his gloomy looks, but no one was approaching him.

The school day came to an end rather quickly, and it was a huge success. I made a ton of new friends, and I don't want to toot my own horn, but I seem quite popular. As I was walking home, a mysterious figure emerged from the corner of the pathway. He pushed me against the wall and even lifted me up off my feet.

"I hear you want to be a restrictor," he said menacingly.

Kai - "Huh, what?"

"Are you deaf? Someone from your class told me you were gonna be a restrictor. Or was he lying?"

Kai - "No, you're right, I am. And what about it?" Although I know the path I'm going to take is dangerous, I'm not one for confrontation, and I got really nervous. Unfortunately, due to trauma, I can't utilize my limits well when under pressure like this. So if he tries anything, I might be done for.

The stranger grinned menacingly while the shade covering his face lifted, and he pulled off his hood. "Well then, you can call me Hallow. I'm also gonna be a restrictor. Hehe, I look forward to your performance tomorrow," he said as he let go of me, and I fell to the ground.

Kai - "Ah, okay. See you tomorrow, I guess." Phew, I thought I was finished. My stamina is pumping, and my breathing is out of control. I should get back and rest. Tomorrow's the limit test where we get our limits reevaluated so restrictions can be placed on them properly, but the school has made it more of a contest. Luckily for me, the test is only meant for the school to see, so they don't allow any visitors, so my anxiety shouldn't be too bad.