Chapter 25: What Now?

After Morg took off with Cole, his fate unknown, a portal opened behind us, as if we had defeated the boss of the dungeon. But there was no victory. I passed out and woke up in a hospital two weeks later. My grandpa was by my side; in fact, his face and warm hands were the first things I remembered. He didn't say much but helped me eat and recover for the next few days.

Some police officers came by and asked me questions, and that's when the harsh reality hit me. For the first time in our world's history, we encountered a monster with intelligence on par with a human, and it even had powers to control the portal itself. Seven out of the twenty-five students didn't survive, and almost everyone was hospitalized. Cole was pronounced missing, as his body was never recovered. Mr. Edge had his license revoked and was facing court to determine if he'd receive a jail sentence. Arthur, Kendrick, and my grandpa attended meetings with the heads of the country, along with representatives from abroad. The main issue was that we weren't allowed to discuss anything that happened, as it could cause mass panic. They covered it up by essentially telling the truth: we entered a portal we couldn't handle and got injured. Morg's existence was to be kept a secret.

I remember arguing with the police when they told me this, but apparently, it was because the president's term was coming to an end. With the new elections approaching, they didn't want panic to influence votes, along with a thousand other excuses they came up with.

"No matter what the media says, one thing is certain: the world is about to change again, on a scale comparable to the Great War and the discovery of the Limits themselves. That creature was impossibly strong, and he mentioned someone even stronger than him. I'm telling you this, Kai, because he said you have gifts. I'm sure you don't understand what he meant, and neither do I. But there's a possibility that you'll grow stronger. Maybe even stronger than me," said Arthur, sitting in the chair across from the hospital bed I was lying on. He rested his hand on his forehead, avoiding eye contact. He was clearly in as much despair as I was.

"Me, Kendrick, and your grandpa talked for a while. We're going to increase the training at our school and raise a generation of incredibly powerful fighters. Kendrick agrees with me. You'll be our secret weapon. That gate didn't open randomly, letting me in. No, I believe you used Morg's ability to open it. We don't know when the next attack will be, so as soon as you're ready, we should start training," he said, his voice steady but strained, before getting up and leaving. I noticed his hand tremble slightly, as if he were fighting to keep himself composed. For a moment, it felt like he was carrying a weight heavier than mine.

I couldn't get a word in. Honestly, my thoughts were all over the place. I was overwhelmed with grief over the loss of our classmates, but what made me start bawling after Arthur left was the sheer terror of facing that monster again. I don't want to. Why me? I'm not strong enough, and I never will be. Arthur couldn't even defeat him. And when will he attack again? My heart pounded as I covered my eyes, but the tears kept flowing. The curtain pulled back slightly, and it was my grandpa, comforting me with a gentle hug.

"Right now, you're understandably scared. Probably thinking about giving up on all your dreams. You think you won't be able to grow stronger. If I were in your place, just the thought of having to fight something like that would make me sick. But your mind is running wild, and one thing about you, kid, is that you have a strong heart. Your heart will soon revive and carry you to the strength you need to get back the ones you love. Remember, defeat is only psychological until death. You and Cole are still alive; therefore, you have not been defeated," he said softly, his voice soothing yet firm, as I leaned into his chest, crying. He held me close, and I felt the steady rhythm of his heartbeat, a reminder that I wasn't alone.

I clenched the bedsheets and awoke, breathing heavily and sweating from a nightmare about Morg. The scene replayed in my head—the twisted grin, the overwhelming power, the way his eyes pierced through me as if he knew everything I feared. I decided to take a walk to clear my mind. Walking outside the hospital, I found myself in its beautiful garden. The crisp air filled my lungs, and the rustle of leaves underfoot brought a fleeting sense of peace. The falling leaves, the light gusts of wind, and the shimmering stars overhead almost made me forget what I had experienced.

How many people in the world went on a walk like this or slept peacefully, having wonderful and fantastic dreams while we fought for our lives? But this isn't anything new. How many times have I slept or taken this walk while others were dying and struggling? This walk was nostalgic, but unlike in the past, I knew my grandpa wouldn't be comforting me this time, as there was no need. Our talk earlier echoed in my head. My heart's strong? What did he mean by that?

As I calmed down and reflected, another emotion dragged me down—anger and regret. I should have been the one brought to that hell, and I should have been strong enough to at least defend myself. All this anger and regret, but can I do anything? I fell to my knees, haunted by the memory of Morg staring me down, his cold, mocking gaze still seared into my mind. I need to train hard, and if I can, we might be able to save Cole before it's too late. "But I can't. I can't, I can't," I shouted, my voice breaking in the empty night. But when I looked up, a small miracle moved me—a bright, beautiful shooting star streaked across the night sky, cutting through the darkness like a blade of hope.

Hope. Ah, just like the light the moon and stars bring in the dark of the night. To the others, I'm their hope. They believe I have a good chance of becoming stronger, and Arthur saved me; I should trust him.

"Fine. I promise on this shooting star that I will become stronger and save Cole," I shouted, looking up and reaching out as if to grab the star. It was a mix between a promise and a wish, but at least it gave me some comfort that night. The chill of the wind brushed against my cheeks, drying the last of my tears as I clenched my fists, a spark of determination igniting within me.