Chapter Three

"Surgeons don't compromise. We defy death, we exceed perfection. We operate for seventeen hours straight if we have to. We aren't built to settle, but that doesn't mean we won't. When we follow our hearts, when we choose not to settle, it's funny. Isn't it? A weight lifts, the sun shines a little brighter, and, for a brief moment at least, we find a little peace"

"turn your heartache right into joy"

Meredith, Derek, Callie, Beck, Aurora and Owen were in a conference room with their representative, Jeanette Keener, and a representative from the airline. "Derek Shepherd. Multiple hand fractures with a median nerve injury", Jeanette called out. "Arizona Robbins, open femur fracture with resultant above-knee amputation. Lexie Grey, deceased. Kelly Ripa, deceased. Mark Sloan, deceased. This doesn't include extreme and complex PTSD experienced by all passengers but most specifically in Beck Jacobs and Cristina Yang". "I wish to extend my deepest condolences", the airline representative began. "How is... How is the investigation going?" Derek interjected. "Have they found what caused the crash?" Meredith added. "The investigation could take years", the airline representative explained. "That's why we want to help you put this tragedy behind you". "I think you mean, your clients would like to put it behind them", Jeanette said.

"So I am authorised at this time to propose a one-time settlement. Bayview Aeronautics takes your loss seriously"

He slid a folded piece of paper across the table to Derek first. He unfolded it and read it.

"Now the settlement agreement must be unanimous, and it releases Bayview Aeronautics from any and all other claims, known or unknown, but..."

Derek passed it to Meredith. Callie and Aurora leaned over to look at it.

"Most important, it will allow you to put this painful time behind you and move on with your lives"

Callie and Aurora looked shocked and passed it to Beck. Beck glanced at it briefly, barely reacting before showing it to Owen.

Aurora and Beck laid in her bed. "I mean, should we settle?" Beck asked her. "Should we not settle?"

"I don't know. I'll do whatever you think is best. Honestly. I'm just there for Mark. It was your experience. It's all up to you"

"I'm tired"

"Yeah, you need to get some sleep. Do you want me to stay?"

"Yeah"

"Lights on or off?"

"On"

"Hey, you guys", April greeted, entering the attendings' lounge. "Can you believe we're in the attendings' lounge?" "April, what are you doing here?" Lucy asked her.

"Hunt came back and got me on the farm in Moline. I was giving the pigs their breakfast, and I turn around, and there's Dr Hunt, offering me my job back. He didn't tell you guys?"

"Did anyone else see Dr Hunt in the barnyard?" Meredith questioned. "When he appeared unto you, was he glowing at all?" Alex added. Jackson came in a stained scrubs shirt and noticed her. "April?" he said. "Hunt hired her back", Lucy explained. "We think. It might have been Jesus", Alex said. "I thought you went to Tulane", April said to Jackson. "Yeah. No, I changed my mind", he replied, taking off his shirt. "Hey, you people are attendings", Bailey said. "You do not change clothes in front of everyone like animals or interns, because nobody wants to see all that". "I think April does", Lucy said, looking at her face. "What?" April said, snapping out of her daze. "No, I don't. I wasn't...". Her stuttering was thankfully interrupted by pagers beeping.

Alex and Jo arrived in the ER, where Lucy and Shane were getting ready for an incoming patient. "I got your text. What do we got?" Alex asked. "16 year old kid, fished her out of the sound, sailing accident", Lucy explained. Alex grabbed a trauma gown and Jo tried to grab one too, getting in his way. "You mind?" he said. "Sorry", she whispered.