Chapter Five

"Sometimes, things are simply out of your control. You can't change them. You can't bend them to your will. It doesn't matter if you're already forty-five minutes late, if your hair isn't brushed, you haven't fixed breakfast and you're haemorrhaging brain cells by the second while you sit here. Dying, dying inside"

"time catches all of us"

Lucy was holding a crying Mia and rocking her back and forth. "Please stop crying, baby", she said gently. "Please go back to sleep for Mommy. Please, sweetheart". She sighed. "You hate me, don't you?" she questioned the baby. Mia responded by crying louder than she already was and Lucy nodded in defeat.

Lucy was in the kitchen, making a bottle for Mia while balancing her phone between her ear and her shoulder. "Okay, please tell me you're as miserable as I am?" Lucy said. "She cried for an hour and a half this morning". "Her new personal best", Cristina replied.

"Hilarious. But seriously, please tell me you're miserable"

"No, I'm happy as can be. My coat doubles as a sleeping bag"

Lucy finished making the bottle. "Hold on". She put the phone on speaker and picked up Mia and started feeding her. "Here you go, baby"

"Hi, Mia"

"Now that Mommy has fed you, there will be no more crying this morning, right? Cristina, I think she hates me"

"She does not hate you"

"She never cries this much when Alex is around. This morning, she was fine until he got out of bed and went to take a shower. Next thing I know, she's sobbing uncontrollably like he just went off to war"

"She'll get over it. She's a baby. She can barely tell the two of you apart"

"I hate you"

"Yeah, well"

"Good morning. How are you?" a voice in the distance said.

"Morning"

"We sure got a nice fresh snowfall last night"

"Sure did!"

"Have a good one"

"You too!"

"Who's that?" Lucy asked.

"Just me being neighbourly. I'm neighbourly now"

"Oh, no. I think she just pooped. Did you just poop, honey?" She sniffed her diaper and retracted immediately. "Yup"

"See, you have a fake voice, too"

"Well, I'm using it on a child. You're supposed to"

"You know what? Tell her she's got to get her act together or she'll never be on the Supreme Court. She's gotta buck up"

"Excuse me?"

"Buck up. Alright. It's a Minnesota thing. We don't wallow in our self-pity. We're... We're tough. We're friendly. We're... My car is buried under a mountain of snow"

Lucy laughed. "Buck up"

"I hate you"

Lucy hung up the phone and placed Mia on the changing table. Alex entered the kitchen. "Hey, what happened here?" he asked, squeezing Mia's hand.

"What does it look like? She hates me"

"Will you stop with that? She does not hate you"

"She doesn't appreciate me. She lived inside of me for nine months and she hates me"

"Stop, okay? Stop. She loves you. Move. I'll do it. Sit down and eat something"

"Alex..."

"Sit"