Chapter Ten

A part of me was more than upset that I had not been able to defeat Gajeel. All of that training, of pushing myself past my limits, and I still ended up losing to Gajeel of all people.

Not that I was saying anything bad about him considering I knew how strong he really was. It just sucked that I did not last longer, even if I did take a hit meant for Droy.

Though it was not like I could focus on that for long as Laxus snarled and leaned forward forcing me to focus onto him while noticing just how close he really was to losing it.

That could not be good.

"What happened?" demanded Laxus the second he noticed I was awake.

"I was walking home from the guild," I began slowly with a light wince as I sat up further on the bed while Laxus reached out gently to help me. "Jet and Droy hadn't wanted me to walk back alone, considering one of Phantom's members had attacked the guild building. We ended up getting attacked, I had tried to get Jet to get Gramps, but Gajeel was faster."

Which was the truth, and now that I thought more about that fight, I realized I had not gone all out but held back since I knew Gajeel would join our side. That had been my undoing as well.

Something I was regretting now since it landed me in the hospital.

"Gajeel?" questioned Laxus as he cut me off making me grimace.

"Gajeel Redfox," I answered with a slow nod while overlooking the damage that I could see on my body and how much pain I was in when moving. "Phantom's S-class mage and the Iron Dragon Slayer."

Knowledge that was well known thanks to magazines and Jose's bragging.

Meaning me knowing all of that was not suspicious in the least.

"He say anything?" wondered Laxus when I settled back and focused fully onto him while he reached out to smooth a hand over my cheek. "Anything at all?"

"Nothing," I answered with a shake of my head. "I was holding my own fine until he went for Droy who was distracted trying to get Jet to wake up. That's the last thing I fully remember before waking up in here with you beside me."

Meaning I had not seen nor really felt that last attack against me.

"Natsu and his team found you hanging from the large tree in the middle of town," growled Laxus hands clenching even as for a brief second yellow scales appeared around his cheekbones making my eyes widen. "You had your shirt torn open..."

This was not good, it seemed like Laxus was seconds from losing it.

"And?" I questioned as fear began to fill me considering it did not seem that Gajeel had gone and painted the Phantom mark upon my stomach in our blood as he had done in the anime.

"Look for yourself," stated Laxus teeth clenched hard enough that his jaw flexed as he spit out the words making my fear notch up at just what would be waiting for me to see. "I'm going to fucking kill him."

That did not feel reassuring at all.

Either way, after taking a deep breath, did I reach out and pull up the large yellow shirt, Laxus' in fact, enough to show off my stomach and panties.

Low and behold, there was the new mark that Gajeel had given me.

Spanning from my left hip to my right, almost flowing smoothly above the mark Kronos had given me, was a detailed dragon that glittered silver.

He had somehow branded me with his iron leaving his mark upon my skin.

No wonder Laxus wanted to kill him.

"Don't kill him," I finally got out with some issues while allowing the shirt to fall back down and cover my stomach and thighs. "Please."

Because I knew that Gajeel was not that bad of a person.

He did some bad shit, but he belonged with Fairy Tail, and if I could forgive Laxus for what he was going to do in the future then I could forgive Gajeel for this.

It did not even hurt, which was what was really throwing me off.

Because that should have hurt, should still hurt in fact.

"You're his mate and he still attacked you," snarled Laxus voice hissing the words in an almost deep vibrating growl that just did things to me. "But for you I won't kill him, I'll only make him wish that I had."

He did not wait for me to respond, only gathered his lightning and left the room making me believe he went to join the others in making our own attack against Phantom Lord.

It also made me wonder if things would happen differently since Laxus was here.

Or if Gramps would still end up hurt as Laxus focused on Gajeel.

~ Laxus P.O.V. ~

The dragon deep inside rumbled and lashed out making his head throb in agony even as he bit back another snarl while landing near the others, who were heading out to confront Phantom Lord for what they had done.

Not that he really cared about them, not when he can still see Levy laying unresponsive, pale, and bruised, on that bed. Gajeel would regret laying a hand on their mate.

He would make sure of it.

"Laxus," stated Natsu voice low and menacing as his eyes flicked to where he now stood beside him as they continued moving forward. "Make whoever did that to her pay."

"Remember your place," snapped Laxus as he bared his teeth at the other before continuing forward with a wicked grin as he gathered his lightning and let it out in a loud boom that destroyed the doors to Phantom Lord. "GAJEEL REDFOX!"

"Ya want something?" snarled another voice the second Laxus stalked through the smoking and charred remains of the front of the Guild.

Nothing else was said as Laxus appeared in front of Gajeel grabbing him by the face and used his lightning to pull the other with him from the building.

The others could manage the weaklings left behind, and if they did not his team would.

He was going to make a statement here.

You did not harm what was his.

There was another loud boom that shook the very ground as Laxus appeared again and Gajeel was shoved deeper into the ground that had turned into a crater under him with the force behind Laxus' hold.

It took a lot to remember that he had promised Levy that he would not kill the other Dragon Slayer. Something he barely held to with the skin of his teeth.

"You really should have kept your hands to yourself," mused Laxus smile all teeth as he finally let go of Gajeel's face and stood up straight as Gajeel released a groan of pain, while his body shook from the electricity that had been pushed through him. "Especially considering what you touched..."