Sinners Condemned

Alex

After that brief talk with Dantes, I felt surprisingly energized. Talking wasn't our strong suit, unlike our other strong mutual areas. Usually I talk, and she just stares at me with disdain. But now, I'd like to think we are making progress, you know, considering we are doing it all the opposite way.

I walked past the Academy grounds towards the Dormitories. The upper dorms were designated for the staff members who chose to reside at the academy. While it was mandatory for Threadhunter Healers to stay at the academy, the Hunters enjoyed more freedom. Given that maintaining law and order was our responsibility, many rules didn't apply to us.

I entered the dimly lit common room on the ground floor.

"Stevens!" I called out. A junior in a Hunter red uniform promptly appeared before me.

"A portal to the Staff Common Room," I ordered him. With practiced ease, he opened one and stepped into it. Why waste my breath climbing the stairs when I could portal? Now I sound like Dantes . She made me an addict to portals.

"Go away," Tara shooed me as soon as I entered the common room.

She had her curly blond hair tied up in a bun, and her green eyes seemed troubled. Wrapped in a blanket like a bundle, she sipped on whisperleaf tea. The common room, devoid of occupants due to it being a working day.

I took a seat in the chair next to her, studying her face. Her nose was red from sniffling, and that's when I noticed her split lip.

"What happened?" I raised my hand to touch it but hesitated.

"You need a healer, Tara. Didn't Tris see this?" I inquired.

We all care about her, however her twin is so protective of her.

"She was a kid, Alexie, a little girl and I..I .." she whimpered.

I didn't reply immediately. I knew the demands Elder Lark placed on us, but this was something else.

"I didn't want a healer because I want to feel this pain. Otherwise... one day, I fear I won't feel any pain. I'm afraid of becoming numb," she said, her voice quivering, tears welling in her eyes.

"I will take that Senate seat; I will make him pay," I declared.

Tara's eyes widened as she looked at me. "How? He's one of the most powerful Elders out there. He pulls the strings, and we are the puppets. If you become an Elder, you would just be another strong puppet for him. And that's what he wants. There's no end to this," she yelled, her desperation echoing my own.

I needed to be strong for her.

"Then we'll find a way, get out of here," I insisted.

Tara sighed heavily, her voice taking on a resolute tone. "The only other way is either to confess our actions or face death," she said in a low, unwavering voice.

"Both will lead us to our death. Is that what you want? All of us dying?" My voice quivered with the weight of our predicament.

I despised that I had put us all in this situation. I loathed that my words brought tears to Tara's eyes. I couldn't bear that Taryn Raaha, the once-happy and carefree girl, had been forced to commit such a terrible act.

"Pull yourself together. We don't need any more attention on us. We'll stick with our original plan and address the issue when the time comes," I said, trying to inject strength into my voice.

"Yes, Commander Raaha," she replied, her words carrying a hint of anger.

I preferred her anger over despair any day.

"Lark assigned you a task. He wants you to kill that rebel."

"What's the situation like in there?" I asked, my mind racing.

"He's in the dungeons, I believe. His public trial was postponed due to the elections and the funeral of Bhama. Lark wants you to break in there and kill him," she explained, her voice heavy with the weight of the task at hand.

My mind raced as I pondered the situation. As an Elemental Commander, I did have the authority to visit the dungeons, but I wasn't among those entrusted with prison duty. Visiting now would certainly draw attention and potentially harm my chances in the election. Lark wanted this to be discreet. How could I pull this off without raising suspicion?

My thoughts spiraled, and then, out of nowhere, a voice inside my head startled me. The familiar emotionless, gravelly voice, ordered, "Alexander, I hope Taryn told you about the task. Visit me for more instructions.I want it done today or face the consequences."