Burn to brave the Darkness

Ash

Darkness has often been used to represent evil. Sometimes it represents sadness. For me, darkness was the unknown—a lonely place, filled with confusion of not knowing what comes next. I always found myself on a precipice, looking into the depth of darkness that loomed below my next step. It was Elder Taluleya Bhama who recognized my darkness first. Who offered a flame in my darkness.

And today I am wearing white standing before a pyre, ready to set her body on fire. She will light up and chase away my darkness - one last time.

The priests offered their prayers. The Elders offered their words.

"It is time," my dad whispered in my ears. I looked at her face one last time and kissed her forehead. Even then, I didn't let go of her cold hands.

"Sashelle," Dad lightly tugged my other hand. I wouldn't let the tears fall.

Holding her hand, I made a vow, "I promise, I will find them, Granny."

She used to say that she was not old enough to be my grandma whenever I called her Granny

Then I let go of her hands.

Like any Threadhunter Commander offering their respect, I stood there watching the pyre burning with my face straight ahead. As soon as the crowd started to move, so did I.

Dad told me something about a meeting, then he left.

And I found myself portaling to somewhere I shouldn't.

Breaking my own rules,I stepped into the warm bedroom. There were clothes on the floor, a mess of parchments and empty veil wine bottles on the bedside table. The early morning light cascading in through the floor length glass windows, forming a tyndall on the floor. I removed my uniform cap, boots, and the white coat without making much noise and crawled into the bed near the sleeping form of Alexander Raaha.

"I heard you come in," he spoke in his sleepy voice and spooned me into a hug.

"You came here after the funeral?" he asked. I nodded, then I realized his eyes were closed, so I mumbled out a yes. Elder Bhama wanted a private funeral, with only Senate members, special guards, and a few family members attending it.

"What do you need?" he asked.

"To sleep, here, like this. Can I do that?"

I hated how weak I sounded.

"We make the rules, Dantes. We can do whatever we want," he said and he kissed the top of my head.