Time does Wait

Ash

I crossed the Threadhunter Academy grounds on my way to the Healer Academy. The area was abuzz with students and trainees, all clad in white robes, rushing to their various destinations. Patients waited in queues for their turn to receive treatment. I navigated through the different rooms until I reached the ward where Sru was currently consulting with an elderly woman. She raised her index finger, indicating that she needed a moment. I patiently waited outside.

Once Sru finished with her patient, she led me to an open hall that served as the dining area. A few people were scattered around, some students were engaged in laughter while reading a parchment, likely filled with humorous short stories.

"I think I've figured out what the riddle means," I began as we took our seats.

Sru leaned in, her curiosity piqued. "What is it?"

"The Veil Entities," I said. "I believe Elder Bhama wanted us to contact them."

Sru considered my words. "Threadweaving, binding, leap of faith... It does seem fitting."

"But you have doubts?" I inquired.

"I mean, it's better than having no idea," she admitted. "This explanation fits, but we have no proof that the Entities or the so-called Gods exist now. We haven't heard from them in ages, at least in the past there were records of them speaking to the threadbound. And even if they do, we have no means to contact them. I don't know; my intuition tells me that the Elder wouldn't lead us on an impossible task or a dead end."

My excitement waned as I mulled over her words.

"Unless..." Sru's eyes sparkled with excitement. "You remember what Naf said about souls crossing the veil?"

"Yeah?"

"According to legends, the Entities reside in the veil or beyond it," Sru continued. "And if they live beyond the veil, maybe Naf can contact them. She mentioned being able to contact souls beyond the veil, but human souls lose their memories after crossing. Perhaps the Entities remember. I don't know how contacting the Gods will help us, but if that's what Elder Bhama wants us to do, then we'll try."

"Wouldn't we need something that belongs to the Gods, like a nail or hair?" I pondered.

Sru smiled conspiratorially. "Ever heard of Bone Shields?"

The Weapons- shields and shackles that were made from Bones of the Veilborn, that can temporarily block magic. They were used to shackle the rogue threadbound, to capture and arrest them for trial.

"Srushti Alvar, you're a genius," I exclaimed, leaning in to kiss her cheek before abruptly standing up.

"Where are you going? I thought we three were having evening tea together," Sru protested.

"I have to be somewhere, or I might lose this opportunity,.. And tell Naf " I shouted back as I hurried on my way.

I emerged from the portal at the imposing gates of the Senate Building. The Special Hunter Guards, recognizing me, promptly opened the heavy iron gates, allowing me to step inside. Pol had mentioned during the first trial, he would be on the third floor, so I began the ascent via the grand staircase. Portaling to unfamiliar locations was out of the question, and conjuring a tornado portal to reach the upper floors would certainly qualify as treason. By the time I reached the third floor, I was huffing and puffing, realizing that I needed to seriously revamp my workout regimen if I intended to excel in the second trial.

Lost in thought about the physical demands of the trials, I muttered to myself, debating whether to turn right or left. My momentary indecision caused me to collide with a man who was carrying a hefty stack of parchments. The impact was both painful and chaotic, as the parchments scattered in all directions. We both let out exclamations of surprise and discomfort.