The Last One Standing

Ash

The day of the second trial had arrived, and I found myself standing in the Grand Senate Arena of Milandor. The scene before me was nothing short of spectacular. The arena was a massive, circular structure with towering stone walls that seemed to touch the heavens. Its sandy floor was marked with intricate patterns, signifying its importance in the trials that had taken place over the centuries.

A sea of spectators filled the stands, their cheers and excitement creating a deafening roar that reverberated throughout the arena. Citizens of Milandor had gathered from all corners of the nation to witness this momentous event. Their colorful attire and fervent energy added to the electric atmosphere.

At the center of it all, on a raised dais, sat the Elders, the ruling Senate of Milandor, distinguished by their ornate robes and stern expressions. They presided over the trials, their eyes keenly observing each candidate's every move.

Sru and Naf hugged me wishing me success as they moved to take seats in the gallery.

I took in the breathtaking scene, and my father approached.

"Sashelle, the first twenty minutes will be a duel with no magic. I know hand-to-hand combat isn't your strong suit, but focus on defense, avoid getting hit, and outlast the twenty minutes. The moment the bell tolls, unleash your magic. Remember there's only one rule -the last one standing will be announced the winner."

Hunter Naomi Sierra, my mentor and trainer, also joined us, her voice filled with encouragement. "Remember our training, Sashelle. You are more than capable of succeeding in this trial. Also if your opponent is Alexander Raaha, force him to rely on his fire-based defense. He'll tire quickly."

Dad chimed in with valuable advice.

"If your opponent is Korvin, remember that kid can be easily provoked. Use that to your advantage."

He leaned down, planting a tender kiss on my forehead.

"May fate thread your success."

Naomi echoed the sentiment, her eyes filled with confidence.

"May the weaver be with ye."

With their well-wishes ringing in my ears, I stepped into the arena, ready to face the challenges that awaited me.

The master scholar, after delivering a speech on the history of elections and welcoming the Elders, turned his attention to us, the candidates.

"From the Nobles of Dantes - Sashelle Vivienne Dantes,"

"From the Nobles of Bhama - Korvin Cunningham Bhama,"

From the Nobles of Azrael - Minerva Elowen Morova,"

"And from the Nobles of Raaha - Alexander Vincentius Raaha."

The crowd erupted in cheers as our names were announced. We stood tall and resolute, representing our noble houses. However, Alex, always the showman, couldn't resist waving at the crowd. When I glanced in his direction, he winked at me, a playful gesture that momentarily broke my tension.

The master scholar continued, "The first match will be between Minerva Elowen Morova and Alexander Vincentius Raaha."

With that, Alex and Minerva entered the arena grounds. As the bell tolled, their duel began, and the crowd watched with bated breath.

Minerva Morova was known for her expertise in combat, and her every move demonstrated that skill. She moved gracefully, striking with precision and speed. Her attacks were a testament to her rigorous training, and it seemed as though she had the upper hand.