Three Rapid Realizations

Frin

I pictured Marcus Burns in my mind, relying on the glimpses I had seen from his wife's memories, and tried to scry for him. He was probably on the Bone Island, so it was of no use. I attempted again and again, growing frustrated, but I stopped before risking threadburn.

I pondered what to do next. My mother had written about how Veil Weavers could be bound, and those words felt like they carried a heavier meaning. Veil Weavers were also called Threadbounds due to their binding with the Veil, which gave them their power.

"Why the two names?" I asked Ginger, although she only meowed in response.

"Maybe," I began to speculate, "the Threadbounds can not only weave... maybe they can bind? Bind the magic away? The wards?" I started pacing, the idea taking shape in my mind. I paused, realizing the enormity of the task ahead.

"Maybe the Bone Island is binding the Veil Weaver threads. If I can find the binding and cut it off..."

It was a big maybe, but it was the best lead I had.

This time, I relaxed in a chair. Instead of scrying for Marcus, I sought out Bone Island and the bindings on my threads within the tapestry of my power.

My breathing grew heavy with exhaustion.

I exerted myself and took the plunge, finding my threads bound by foreign ones. I swiftly began to cut a few of them. It took a lot of effort to cut them. But they grew back stronger and tighter. Maybe I should lose the bindings. So I started to loosen them instead, creating a small gap - a crack in the shield of the island.

Darkness seeped into my eyes, I took a deep breath and closed my lids.

Within that crack, I searched for Marcus, and there he was.

Suddenly, As entered his mind - a gut-wrenching pain shocked my body.

A string of memories assaulted me, and I realized , to my horror, that Marcus was dying.

I swiftly began to search his memories for an image of my mother.

"Aaah," I cried out in pain and fell out of the chair.

In those brief moments, I realized three things:

1. My ma was a rebel

2. Marcus was killed by a threadhunter

3. I am not the only one who knows the bindings could be loosened.

Then everything went dark.