Lessons to Pass on

Alex

I opened the note, my eyes scanning the words as I read aloud,

"Thalfrin Freeman, your mother was killed."

I addressed the group, "This lacks creativity."

Tara, unimpressed, responded with an eye roll,

"What do you want, a poem or a riddle?"

"Maybe we should add Lark's name as well," I suggested.

Tara promptly struck through the previous sentence and replaced it with,

"Thalfrin Freeman, Elder Lark is behind your mother's murder."

She then held the parchment out for me to see.

I considered the change but ultimately decided,

"Okay, write it on another parchment."

Before Tara could begin, Tristan grabbed the note from my hand, emphasizing,

"This is not a class assignment," and promptly vanished into a portal, taking the note with him.

Lukas chimed in with a hint of disappointment,

"Will anyone take that note seriously? Guys, after a year with Lark, we're still amateurs at making ominous notes. This is Dan Oakman in Arcana Attackers all over again, two years under Captain Hally, still Oakman sucks. He can't do a solid pass to save his life"

Lukas went on about Skybound Ball but I excused myself saying I have a class to teach.

Teaching wasn't something I had ever thought I'd end up doing. In my own academy days, I despised teachers, probably more than most students did. They had this judgmental air about them, like they could foresee our entire future based on a single exam grade. It was infuriating, and it made me resent the whole education system.

I couldn't stand how they treated students differently, almost like they were discriminating based on who had the 'right' kind of potential. Of course, back in my academy days, I wasn't exactly a model student myself. I had a knack for showing up late to class, submitting assignments that were sometimes copied straight from my friend's books, and barely scraping through exams. Tara, Tris, Lukas, and I were known as the 'firewolves' because we seemed to have a natural aversion to rules and, ironically, our elemental power was fire.

But what irked me the most was that teachers often forgot that students were just kids, even those with elemental powers. They judged us harshly, deciding who was 'worthy' and who wasn't, without really knowing us. I remember how they'd look down on me, and how, despite my abilities, they'd given up on me. When Lark forced me into this teaching position, some of my former commanders from academy days advised against it, saying I was a terrible example.

I knew I'd had my fair share of reckless and sometimes downright stupid experiences, especially in my younger days, but I also knew I was the best when it came to controlling and manipulating fire. I wasn't about to become one of those teachers, looking down their noses at their students. I might have disliked teaching, but I cared deeply for my students, and I was determined to be the teacher they needed, not the one they expected.

I stood at the center of the training arena, watching the junior class of threadbound elemental fire users assemble. The morning sun cast a warm glow over the space, but they were about to experience a different kind of heat.

"Alright,Firewolves, gather 'round," I called out.

"Since you all learnt and are now experts at summoning.Today, we're diving headfirst into the fiery depths of dueling."

The students exchanged glances, some smirking, others not so sure what they had signed up for. Fire was a fickle friend, and I intended to teach them how to befriend it.

"First lesson," I began, summoning a small flame in the palm of my hand,

"fire isn't your mortal enemy. It's just an unruly, overenthusiastic friend with a short attention span."

I twirled the flame around my fingers, creating mesmerizing patterns of orange and red before extinguishing it with a casual snap of my fingers. The students watched with a mix of awe and apprehension.

"Control, my friends, is the name of the game," I continued, looking around the group.

"Without it, you'll singe your eyebrows off before you can say 'ouch.'"

I demonstrated some basic fire manipulation techniques, conjuring fiery rings and spirals. Then, I turned my attention to them.

"Pair up,wolves, and remember, in the world of fire dueling, precision trumps sheer firepower. You don't need to out-blaze your opponent; you need to outsmart 'em."

I walked among the dueling pairs, offering advice and sarcasm in equal measure. I corrected their stances and gestures, teaching them the delicate art of balancing aggression and restraint.

"Nicely done,Stevens," I praised.

"And Locke, your aim's so off it's almost cute. Keep practicing."

As the duels raged on, flames clashed and flickered, creating a mesmerizing dance of light and heat. I continued to weave through the students, offering encouragement and solid pointers.

"You control your fire, not the other way around. Focus on your target, visualize your attack, and let it fly with intent."I reminded them.

After several rounds of practice, I gathered them again, their faces flushed with exertion and realization.

"Well, well, look at you all," I said, feigning surprise. "You've made it through a morning of fire dueling without turning each other into human torches. Colour me impressed."

"Alright, class, gather around," I called out. The sun hung high in the sky, casting a warm glow over the area. It was time for another lesson on fire.

"Todays first lesson was about attacking your enemies but the second lesson is all about protecting yourselves, not just from the occasional campfire mishap but also from other threadbound elementals who might want to turn you into a human torch during a duel," I explained with a sly grin.

I asked Tasha Morova ,who had volunteered to be the 'fire-thrower' for this exercise, to step in. She'd be hurling fireballs at their classmates while they learned to create fire shields.

"Meet your friendly neighborhood fire-thrower,Morova," I said, gesturing to the student with a wry smile. "Don't worry, she's got impeccable aim."

Morova raised an eyebrow and smirked, clearly relishing her role. She conjured a small fireball in her hand, waiting for the signal to launch it.

"Alright, first step," I began, "is to create a mental image of your fire shield. Picture it as an extension of yourself, a barrier that can withstand anything Morova throws at it."

I demonstrated by conjuring a simple, transparent fire shield around myself, letting it shimmer with the familiar orange and red hues of fire. The students watched, absorbing my every move.

"Now it's your turn," I encouraged. "Channel your fire energy, visualize your shield, and let's see some fiery protection in action."

The students took a deep breath and began to create their fire shields, focusing their elemental power into a protective barrier.Morova, grinning wickedly, started hurling fireballs at them, one after another.

"Remember," I called out, "your shield is an extension of yourself. Feel the heat, understand the flame, and use it to your advantage."

The students concentrated, and soon, fire shields of varying shapes and sizes formed around them. Some were small, only covering the caster, while others expanded to protect a larger area.

Morova continued her assault, launching fireballs at the students, who used their fire shields to deflect, absorb, or outright extinguish the flames. I observed their progress, offering pointers and encouragement as they improved their defense techniques.

"Great job, everyone," I commended. "You're learning to harness the power of fire not just for offense but for protection as well. Remember, in a duel, your fire shield can be your best friend. Keep practicing, and you'll become formidable fire-wielding veil weavers."