Chapter 2 - Everglade

Jyle's house, Early Fall, 2018'

I can see that he's finding it hard to trust me. After all, he's been doing lots of research on Cameron, which ties him with me and I did come straight out of the local asylum. Cameron's my partner, or boss sort of. His name was identified years ago, but I was careful never to leave my name behind for the cops. How stupid he must be to get caught in jail right after me. At least I escaped. I know his next plans. I just hope that he didn't change them from the last time he told me. They lead right to Jyle's school, from what I can tell, Jyle's agility is just about right. He has a similar build to me, except we're different genders. By his posture, he's either really popular or really smart in school.

Oh how I miss my knives. I don't work well with guns. That's why Cam uses guns. I use knives. They are my friends; easy to throw, easy to retrieve, easy to stab and kill silently. I might just kill this new boy, since he's proving to be soo annoying and not much of a help. If Cameron didn't want to burn his school down, I would have never met him or landed myself in an asylum. 

When I finish my shower, I wrap myself in a towel and step outside. There are already clean clothes on the counter for me to wear.

"It's not every day a boy has a pair of girl's clothing with him," I point out after I change. "You have an older sibling."

"Of course, you'd notice," he mutters, "I have an older sister who works as the FBI."

"Where's the kitchen?" I ask.

He studies me like I'm a lunatic. "You want knives?"

"Just a habit. I like having a weapon at all times."

"I'll give you a chance, but just because you didn't attack me yet. When we get to the kitchen, the first cabinet you pull out will be the one that you use, so if you want the knives, you have to guess," he finishes.

I flash him a toothy grin, and he starts walking down the stairs. The sink has a few dishes hinting how many people live here. The cabinets are made of dark oak while the counter is made of marble. The table can't fit anymore than the three people who live here. Finally there is a slick refrigerator on the left of the refrigerator. I study the kitchen and make a rough guess where the different cooking equipment is stored. Then, I study him. His body posture and eyes give away most things. Usually, when people stare hard on one side, it's the other. Not this case. He's smarter than I thought, so it's the "right" cabinets.

I study the things above the cabinets and on the counter. Then, I carefully walk over to the one on the edge of the counter and slowly open it. Yes!

"How," he asks, tilting his head slightly. "What's your logic behind that one?"

"Easy. First, it's the right side because you looked at it. Most people, when they see you looking at one side, they'll assume it's the other side. The last thing that gave the spot away is the plate of leftover cake directly on top of the cabinet. That made me assume that whoever was going to eat that cake put it there because the forks, spoons, and knives are accessible," I finish.

"Wow, you're smart for a middle schooler," he says.

"Really? I never went to school. I had a private teacher," I say.

"Oh, well is there a nickname I can call you?" he asks.

Changing the subject? No. Just curious. "Call me Eve. It's short for Everglade."

"Okay Eve," he grins.

I read his body posture. A moment ago, he had his hands folded, protecting himself. Now, he's leaning into the conversation, and his hands are at his side, meaning he's opened up to me and is comfortable with talking to an assassin. Even thinking that word makes me shiver. Am I actually ready to become an assassin? I let that thought sink into my brain.