Chapter 10: Jyle

It's June 22. I bring my right arm up to check the time. It's 8:26 pm. I just need to figure out what to do. What to say to Tess. She's currently playing with a white shabby dog with pointed ears. I should just leave. Leave! I don't move. I know I shouldn't tell her, but it feels right to.

"Hey Tess, I'm going to my house to get something, okay? Wait for me here," I lie. I lied to her. Again. Too late. I run down the roof stairs and out the front door, pushing through people.

When I arrive, it's exactly 9:00pm. The street is lit with some lights. Eve doesn't like lights. Just then, one of the far lights flashes twice and fades to black. It's Everglade's work. I slowly creep towards it. Why couldn't she just come and find me? Each step is filled with excitement, determination, affection, and fear. Excited to meet her, determined to see her, my affection for her, and fear of what she'll do. I slowly tilt my head up to look up at the building in front of me. There's nothing at first but after I blink a few times. I see the illuminating shadow of precisely Everglade. She lets something drop from the third story. It falls from side to side, cutting through the air. I reach my shivering hands out to catch it.

When I look up, she's gone. Disappeared.

+++

I unfold the piece of paper. The edges are stained with blood. Everglade's blood. I hold my watch's light over the note.

Greetings. Lil' boy.

Congrats on figuring out the clues :)

I know you were expecting me but we're being spied on and stalked this very moment. I hope you aren't reading this note at our meeting place. There will be new clues to come.

-Everglade*

I was expecting more information but this is what I have to accept. No information on how she's doing. No information on where she stays. Only more clues. It's like the feeling of doing something really important, then losing all your work. Am I really starting over again?

Then, I remember Eve's caution. Don't read this at the meeting place.

Oh I'm so stupid! I quickly tuck the note away in my back pocket and jog away from the place. It creeps me out when I'm focused on my surroundings. At night, the lamps are dim on this street. I get this feeling people are watching me from a distance, waiting for the right moment to attack.

Then, I hear a tree branch snap. I know what's coming next but I'm too slow.

Two strong hands grab my arms. Something is shoved in my mouth. I gag.

"We've got him. Kidnap successful."

Mist is sprayed in my face. I do the wrong thing, breathing.

The world fades in front of me and I lose consciousness.

+++

"What do we do now?"

"Wake him up and start questioning him on where Everglade is. If he doesn't answer you, feel free to do anything to him, except put him in a condition where he can't speak or kill him."

"Got it. You can go now."

I stir upon hearing those words. Reality hits me hard. I've been kidnapped.

"Hey kid! Wake hell up! Now!" someone demands.

I open my eyes. My hands are tied behind my back and my feet are tied to a chair. I'm on the ground in a cell. It's designed like a prison. I see another kid out of the corner of my eye. He must also be held captive.

"When you can talk, you will tell me who you are and what you were doing with Rigel," a guy in his teens with a shirt that looks like it costs hundreds. He's only a few ages older than me. Maybe 18 or 20? His mask blocks most of his face.