Chapter 9: Everglade

Lowell, Massachusetts: Ray's apartment, June 20, 2020

I want to meet Jyle but Cameron knows of my plan and I know how. He thinks I have no idea, but I do. As if sedatives work on me. After Dax died, Cam determined that I wouldn't be completely safe from the other terrorist group, so to keep an eye on me at all times, he planted a microchip in me. For him to safely do that without letting me find out (because I would never agree to it), at night, he put me on a sedative. One thing he didn't know was that I could and still can resist sedatives of all kinds. I saw him do it to me in the dark. I didn't resist. If I knew the consequences that it would bring, I would've, trust me. I flop onto the bed.

Now, as a result, Cameron knows where I am, and what I'm doing at all times. To dig the chip out, I would need to get surgery. I don't like surgeries.

"Cam! What are you doing to him! Cam stop! Please!"

"This is for his own good," Cameron replies, calmly. I see him taking Dax inside a room full of machines and tools. The walls are plain white with skulls and crossbones all over it. He locks the door behind him. I'm left looking in the huge window from outside the room.

"LET GO OF HIM!" I scream, pounding on the window. I kick and punch until my hands are red and my knees are bruised.

"CAMERON STOP!" I wail.

He ignores me but I know he can hear me.

"TEST ME! TAKE ME! PLEASE! LET HIM GO!" I moan. Finally, two surgeons push Dax out of the room. He groans and falls to the ground. I hurry towards him and pull him up, over my shoulders. I carry him all the way back to my room.

Then, I'm kneeling beside him, watching as he throws up, continuously, into the toilet.

I gasp, gripping my right arm, where the microchip is. I know Cameron did something to Dax. He didn't cure Dax, he cursed him. That night, after Dax was asleep in my bed, I know exactly what I did.

I push open my closet door and fumble for the hidden gun. My hands close around a smooth and hard metal thing. I pull it out. My gun. Yes.

Then, I slowly opened the bedroom door. Kids aren't allowed in the hallways in afterhours. I broke that rule. I broke it many times. No one ever found out. If they did, I would be punished severely. I creep along the halls, trying to remember which one Dax was in. Turning the corner, I see it. And! The good thing is... the same surgeons are still in the room. The door is also half open. I slip inside and shut the door behind me. I point the gun at both of them.

"What did you do to him!?" I demand.

"None of your sweet business. I'll report you to Cameron for being outside and keeping a gun in possession," one of them says.

"I'm not afraid to shoot. Answer me! Now!" I threaten.

"We aren't afraid of a little girl." the other one sneers.

Whatever they did, I could ask Dax later. I close my eyes and press the trigger. The gun, aimed at the taller one of the two. He moans and slumps to the ground.

"Answer me or you'll die!" I sneer.

Even in the dark, I can see him put his hands up in defeat.

"Only what Cameron said to do," he answers, carefully.

"Tell me! Please!," I choke out.

"We took samples of his blood, hippocampus, and eyes," he whispers, so quiet that only I can hear.

Revenge is sweet. I hit his head with my gun and tied up his arms and legs. Then, I force a napkin into his mouth. Lastly, I leave the room. The door is left open.

My eyes flutter open. There are stars in my vision. Colors flashing in and out of view. When I sit up, my head spins in circles. I'm on the ground next to Ray's bed. Apparently, I fell off the bed and my head hit the floor. I blink. Once, then twice. My vision comes into focus. Ray's kneeling in front of me.

"You okay?" he asks.

"Yeah, fine," I mutter.

"You don't sound fine. Why are you on the floor?"

"Oh. Umm, I just..."

"Never mind. I'll leave you alone," he finishes.

I'm left staring at the floor. It's been almost two weeks since Cameron bombed the building. Two days until June twenty second. I wonder if Jyle's figured it out yet. It's Keene street. Hopefully he's not that dumb. I was going to meet him there, but Cameron's probably set us up. If he goes there alone, Cam won't get him. He doesn't want Jyle, he wants me. I don't know why, but I know he doesn't want him. Everything's already set up. How I'm going to see him, how I'm going to leave, Everything. Now all that's left is to wait.

+++

I realized that I haven't eaten for three days. Yet, I'm not hungry. The meals Ray gives me remain untouched. Now, I want to chew. Now food though. I creak open the bedroom door. The rest of the apartment isn't very big. Ray isn't home. I slowly walk towards the kitchen. The refrigerator has a photo stuck to it using a magnet. One photo. It shows Ray, Jyle and an older girl. He has an older sibling. That thought comes back to me. I almost forgot that.

I open the freezer. Inside, there are a few popsicles, an ice maker, and different kinds of meats. I grab a handful of ice. The cold touch sends a shiver down my spine. I drop the ice cubes in a bowl and take them back to the bedroom.

The ice numbs my gums. When it melts enough, I start chewing it. Crunch crunch crunch. I swallow. It makes my tongue hurt and my eyes sting but I don't care. I feel goosebumps crawling up my skin. It turns pale white. My pure black hair fades into a crimson red color.

I eat more until my mouth is cold and numb. It's 10:02 pm. I turn off the lights and lie, sprawled on the bed hoping that my hair will return to its usual color. Being a skinshifter is hard.

Tomorrow. The dreaded day.