Chapter 3 - Jyle

Last night, I could hear Eve's dense breathing. Could she also have nightmares, like me? I wonder if it's hard for someone who's killed multiple people to not have nightmares.

"You going to school today?" she says.

"Yeah, you can hang out around the neighborhood if you want," I reply. She nods and I climb down the ladder. I change into my school clothes and do my morning routine. Eve watches my every move.

"Your routines are very different from mine," she says, curiously. "Wanna hear them?"

"Sure, why not," I say, wanting to hear more.

"I do the same thing as you in the morning - change, brush my teeth and everything—but I didn't go to school," she begins. "After breakfast, my only meal, my instructor let me warm up by throwing knives at targets. Then, when it got hot outside, we'd go inside and study chemistry and poisoning. In the afternoon, I had advanced math classes. And at night, we practiced being stealthy. It was fun. Way funner than school," she finishes, sneering. 

"That does sound fun; who's your instructor?" I ask, unable to hold the question back.

"A sadist," she answers, laughing like a maniac.

I don't bother to ask more. "Stay here, okay? I'm going to school," I reminded her. Then, I unlock the front door and slip out. The air outside is fresh and light. The roadwork hasn't begun, so there's no smoke. I look back a few times before I'm sure Everglade stayed home. I meet Marcus at the top of the street. He's wearing the usual yellow hoodie with a star in the middle.

We enter through the front gates and head towards the library. It's the first place I go every day. When the school bell rings, I walk with Marcus to the third floor for English seminar.

"Hey class. Good morning. Please settle down, books away for now. Today's news is quite interesting and isn't something you'd like to miss," Mrs. Lopez announces.

She turns on the broadcast. It's on Everglade's escape.

"This is the most interesting escape ever! None of the guards were killed. In fact, the desk clerk wasn't even touched! This escape follows right after the serial killer's escape. Police are currently investigating and think that the second escape had something to do with the first one. We'd all advise you to stay home and avoid dark alleys and dangerous places," the newscaster informs.

I see Everglade's wanted sign!

Spring Tree Asylum Prisoner

Name: Unidentified

Appearance: Black hair down to shoulders

with dark blue/purple eyes.

Dangerous! Avoid at all costs.

If seen, dial 155

The police don't seem to have lots of information on Eve. She must've not given any information to the police in her interrogations. That's why she has cuts on her face. They torture her because they want information, I realize.

After the news, we have a 30-minute reading time. I flip open my book and pretend to read it. In my mind, I'm focused on Everglade and Cameron.

Suddenly, the fire alarm rings! Er, Er, Er! Er, Er, Er! Stay calm. It's just a drill, my mind says. No! It's not a drill; we've already had one this past month, my brain says. We immediately start exiting the classroom. On my way out, since I'm the last one, my pants get stuck to the table ledge. Oh no! I'm panicking now. I can smell the smoke. Wait! It's coming from three different places: below me, on top of me, and in front of me. That means the fire wasn't natural! The ceiling cracks and wedges down. I pull harder on my pants. One of the planks fall apart and hits my head. I black out, and my vision goes blurry.