Chapter 11: Everglade

June 25, 2020, Ray's apartment

Your boy is in my captive and you will do what I say until I am satisfied. -Cameron

What! He doesn't explain further and only leaves a note that I probably wouldn't have found if I hadn't emptied my pockets earlier. Who in the world could've delivered this note to me? Arcturus? Gemini? Bourbon?

It's Gemini. She loves adventures because she's always wearing disguises. And—my boy—what does that mean? It's obvious that Cameron wants me to do something, but does it really require kidnapping Jyle? He's just a regular street boy.

Does Cameron really think that I'd do something that he wants just for the safety of Jyle. Phv. How did he get Jyle anyways? The note clearly told him not to read it where he was. Is Jyle actually that dumb to get caught?

I'm sitting on the edge of the bed, my fingers shake as I read the little folded note. I pull a tiny printed photo out of my packpocket.

"Ray, come over here there's something that I want you to see," I mutter.

"Jyle? How do you have that picture!"

"I took it from your house. - You also just revealed to me that you know Jyle in some way."

Silence.

"Sigh. I think I owe you an explanation, right?" Ray says sarcastically.

"Definitely."

"Jyle's my twin. I was one of Cameron's experiments. He needed me for technique and health reasons. I escaped. I also know where their hideout is. Adele rented a 25 floor building saying they were some kind of private company," Ray laughs drily.

"So you're saying that Jyle's currently trapped inside a 25 floor building with Massachutests biggest wanted criminal?" I say, as I reveal to him the note written from Cameron.

"He's in... - captive???" Ray freezes. His hazel eyes glittering with a mixture of fear, terror, and anger.

"I'm–sorry wouldn't save Jyle. It wouldn't mend the mistakes I'd made but it was all I could offer–Sorry."

"What are the chances that he'll survive?"

"Very little to no chance. The building is well guarded and he'll most likely be in chains. If Adele has any sense of insanity, she'll try to help him, otherwise, they kill expandable prisoners in a few weeks," I try to keep a straight, neutral face while my insides are shattering.

Jyle is nothing to worry about. After all, I'm an assassin. I'll leave all this behind when Cameron is dead. I'll start a new team. New life. It's not too late.

Ray gets up from the floor and walks out the room. Outside, I can hear the sounds of plates hitting the marble floor.

No. I won't leave now. Not when Ray needs Jyle the most. I'll resolve this thing between twins and go, Go north where no one knows who I am and what I am. I'll get new clients there. New people to be killed. People I don't know. I'll grow from my mistakes. Learn.

I walk over to the closet, there's only a few clothes that hung from it because I wasn't planning on staying. I slide the black, leather jacket with the delta and circle signifying Cameron's symbol, It feels cool over my tank top. The jacket is stuffed with daggers and pocket knives. Nothing too heavy.

Finding Jyle. It's at the top of my list now. Killing Cameron was below that. It would and could wait.

My phone buzzes. Text from Adele.

Adele: Rigel, it's nothing too serious but you should know, Jyle escaped and is on his way to Lowell right now. Good Luck in reuniting.

I want to tell Ray that Jyle escaped but I needed to find him first.

"Bye Ray," I whisper, not bothering to raise my voice when he doesn't reply from outside the bedroom.

The same trick again. I pick the window lock and climb outside, embracing the cold air. Climbing down three flights of stairs didn't suit me, the assassin of Cameron anyways.

Going back to my normal habits, I walk over to a motorcycle and tinker with its engine. Then, without the key, I manage to kickstart it. Nothing different from my usual training. My bare hands grip the throttle. Since I have no helmet, I ride around until I find one hanging from another motorcycle. How careless of its owner to leave it there.

Tracking Jyle, turns out, is really easy with Adele's help. He took a bus home. How tragic.

Local buses are easy to predict and I already know which stop he'll get off.

Still not used to the highway, I stop at the red light, hesitating to take the right turn.

Green.

Gritting my teeth, I curse Cameron to hell and skidded down the right lane.

Thoughts on my past absorb the noise around me.

I'm standing next to Dax now. It's the party Cameron funded. The day he died. I brace myself to repeat my actions. My mistakes. It's like you're in a dream, watching yourself, invisible to everyone. In my memory, I'm wearing the usual black jacket with a mask and hoodie with cat ears. Dax is standing next to me, his head's on my shoulders and he's wearing a lopsided lazy grin.

"Aren't you at least going to try to enjoy yourself?" I ask.

"Well, if I ask you to dance with me, will you say yes?"

"The answer will and is always no. I absolutely hate dancing and have no means of messing up in front of everyone." Another mistake my past self made. Not dancing.

Dax's shoulders relax and we watch the people around us. Some also wearing similar clothes to us, and others half drunk. Women weren't invited so it was necessarily for me to wear a hoodie and keep my mouth shut while Cameron bidded our money. My hard earned money from killing people.

I already know what's going to happen next.

Somewhere in the crowd. An argument sparks. It begins with just a few curse words, but as more and more people join in, a fight breaks out. Weapons are taken out and daggers are pointed at throats. I slowly back away from the crowd, pulling Dax with me.

We watch in the shadows as Cameron takes down two men twice the size of him. Then, we watch as he takes out two long daggers and waves them at everyone around him. Dax's grip on my arm tightens. Most people scatter when Gimlet guts his attacker. Blood everywhere. There's only a few people left now. I slowly lead Dax up the stairs to flee the scene when the people who Cameron upsetted earlier notice me as his sister.

We lock eyes and I'm running with Dax before I come to my senses. Running. Running. Running.

Guns are pulled out. I can hear triggers being pulled and shots being fired. One hits me in my arm. I collapse bringing Dax with me.

The part where he dies is too painful. I squeeze it out of my head and focus on the road ahead of me. Adele's words linger in my head: "You have to let him go. It's not worth it Eve."

Slowly but surely, Dax starts to fade from my memory and our relationship with it. One day, when I'm innocent again, there will be a chance at feeling love again.