Chapter 13: Everglade

I'm back where I started. Staring at the remains of the building. I sulk in my past. Watching Dax die all over again. The clip just keeps repeating.

I walk over to his grave.

"I'm one year older than last year now. Happy Anniversary,"

No reply.

I take out my revolver and shoot the wall. The imaginary enemies taunt me. They kill him, over and over again.

"Don't go. Please."

I'm a wreck by the time Dawn approaches. Dry tears stain my face. I take one daunting look at his grave and vomit.

My power is the only thing that keeps me alive. All those years of being tracked. I don't remember the last time I was my own skin.

My hair is bright green and my eyes are dark blue. I have the skin of a Japanese girl.

Not my own skin but not someone else's either. I started to drift off, but my adrenaline still running high, heard a new sound. The snap of a twig. The steps that someone would take before they ambush.

I roll three times and stand up. Narrowly dodging a slash to my back.

"You."

I still remember the last time I saw him. Now, I would put a bullet through his heart too.

"You still want me dead?"

"Go to hell," I hiss, pulling out two daggers.

"I've already been to hell," he matches my voice. His luger is pointed at my head.

I've been trained in combat before. But not against a freaking gun! I have to dispatch him first. Then, torture. Take it step by step.

I twist away as if I'm retreating but step forward and swing a high kick, smacking the gun out of his hand and away. He snarls and uppercuts me in return. I slip out of his reach with maddening ease.

Not surprisingly, he pulls out a dagger and lunges for my throat. I duck at the last moment and slash at his ankles. It works and he trips, clutching his legs in pain.

"Who else is here," I snarl.

"No one else. Just me," He whimpers as I kick his stomach.

"Which finger."

"What? Wait- What! No Please!!!" Begging doesn't work.

"Thumb then."

I raise my blade.

"Vincent sent me."

I bristle but it doesn't stop me from slicing his finger off. There's nothing but blankness in my eyes when he looks at me. I know that the moment he swallows painfully.

I've kill many people before but never tourtured anyone.

"You will pay for this." I scan him for hidden weapons incase of suicide.

Then, I kick him in the stomach a few more times and chain him up.

Leaving Ray turns out, was a bad idea. I realize that as I walk the streets of Lowell. There's no place for me to go. Grimacing, I climb up three floors and swing my legs over the balcony into Ray's apartment.

Maybe they already moved out.

I can hear Ray's soft laugh and Jyle's quirky voice when I slide in through the window.

Not knowing what to do, I slip outside and hide behind an armchair.

+++

It's dawn when I wake up. I curse myself when I realize I slept the whole night.