第7章

On our class's Facebook group, the top post had always been "Cheering for the 2008 Beijing Olympics," but the second one changed to "Shocking!!! Audrey found a boyfriend!!!"Look at these slowpokes!I uploaded a photo of Caleb to the group, and immediately, compliments flooded in.I laughed loudly in front of my computer—take that, all of you who underestimated me! Guys, feel ashamed! Girls, drool away!The next day, the message on the group board changed again, "Suspicious??? How did Audrey land a guy like that???"I was so mad I almost grabbed a knife and stormed to the group admin's house.James messaged: "Your boyfriend looks great."I sent a proud emoji back: "Who else's boyfriend would he be?"He texted: "Does he treat you well?"I replied: "Perfectly! He treats me like an empress."He texted: "That's good."I wrote: "I'm going out with my dear Caleb to stroll downtown this afternoon, gotta go, ttyl."He replied: "ttyl."That afternoon, I told Caleb about the comments in the group, and he said, "What a coincidence."I asked, "What coincidence?"He explained, "I posted your photo in the group, and the message changed to 'Mourning... Caleb has found such a girlfriend...'"I grabbed his arm and bit it hard.Before winter break, we went out for a group dinner, Caleb brought his buddies, and I brought my sisters.The conversation started with us, collectively recalling how we hooked up in the innocent setting of the activity center.Everyone marveled at Caleb's skills, saying he managed to display his personal charm within the confines of a tiny ticket booth and snag a girlfriend.As the evening went on and drinks flowed, people started getting rowdy, pounding the table, rocking their chairs, each shedding their civilized façade to reveal their wilder nature.After dinner, Caleb and I walked hand in hand through the streets.Under the night lights, the warm glow felt soothing.Caleb mentioned, "I can't go home this winter break; I have to stay in the lab at school."I said, "Why are you so busy? Then I'll stay and keep you company."He responded, "No, you can't."I blocked his path, "Why not? Do you have a secret girlfriend hidden in your lab?"He adjusted my scarf and patted my forehead, "What's with your wild imagination? I'll be busy in the lab, and I won't have time for you. Imagine, during the holidays, you sitting alone, shivering with cold, munching on peanuts in front of the TV. How miserable, right? Isn't that sad?"I nodded vigorously, "Sad, indeed, absolutely tragic!"He also nodded, "Then you better stay home and fatten up."I asked, "But what if I miss you?"He smirked, eyes twinkling, "Missing me that much, huh?"I kicked him lightly and marched ahead.He caught up, slipping his hand and mine into his pocket, "Come on, let me treat you to some KFC."I stopped, "KFC what?"He said, "KFC, it's the nickname Colonel Sanders's granddad gave him."...What sort of nickname is that?