第20章

After the meal, we hailed a cab to the cinema for the afternoon showing, complete with cola, popcorn, and dried squid. This time, seated next to James, I refrained from my usual antics of tossing popcorn in the air.I sat quietly, methodically eating my popcorn as we waited for the movie to start. As the film kicked off with a burst of intense action scenes, I grabbed the cola and took several thirsty gulps. After setting the cup back, I realized James had just informed me that I'd drunk his soda by mistake.Startled, I apologized, "Oh, I'm sorry, how can I fix this? Should I go buy you another one right now?"As I started to stand, James pulled me back down, assuring me it was no big deal. It was really dark around us, but I sensed he was smiling, his eyes twinkling. Then, he took a sip from the cola himself.Something felt off about the atmosphere. I wasn't sure if it was genuinely awkward or if I was overthinking a nonexistent issue.The movie continued, and James asked, "Do you remember the last time we watched a movie together?"I nodded, recalling our high school graduation. Our class had gone to see a movie together. I had sat with Yan Yi Yi, and James was right in front of us. At that time, I didn't know Caleb yet, and my heart was filled with feelings for James.During the movie, I constantly spoke to get James's attention. I made several predictions about the plot to Yan Yi Yi, all of which came true, and she was quite impressed.James turned around and smiled at us. I wondered shyly if he was looking at me.After the movie, we all went out to eat and play games. I felt like James kept glancing my way, which made me both excited and nervous.Returning home that night, I sweetly thought that James must like me since he looked at me so many times. But four days later, I heard the news that he was dating Yan Yi Yi. It turned out he really did look back, but it was Yan Yi Yi he was seeing.His words echoed the sentiment from a famous movie, "I had guessed the process correctly, but not the ending." My self-esteem back then felt like the biggest irony, a case of wishful thinking.James, chuckling, said, "Back then, you could really guess the plots like a little prophet. Try guessing the ending of this movie."I replied, "I retired from being a prophet years ago. Directors these days are too unpredictable; who knows what twists and turns this ending might take."James laughed and finished his cola.Midway through the movie, I excused myself to use the restroom. Pulling out my phone, I noticed a missed call and two texts from Caleb. I quickly responded: "Went to the bookstore to buy some books and stroll around, don't worry."Returning to my seat, I felt a bit uneasy. I'm not someone who does wrong easily; even without anything happening, I felt the guilt of deceit.After the movie, I thought it best to leave early and head home to avoid any potential interrogation by Caleb.As I started to say goodbye, "Lee Mengyu..."Before I could finish, James suggested, "Let's go eat. Last time the restaurant by your school was pretty good. I'll take you there, and we can have dinner."The plan actually sounded great. Caleb was probably still in his lab, and what were the odds of him catching us just as I was seeing James? It should be fine.But as they say, when you gamble with fate, you often face misfortune.I had barely stepped into the restaurant when I immediately jumped back, suggesting to James, "You know, there's this great soup place I know. Legend has it someone even managed to eat a bone there once. Let's go there!"Before James could react, I was pushing him out the door.Then came that hauntingly mild yet menacing voice behind me, "Jiang Wen."James stopped, and so did I.I forced a smile as bright as a blooming lotus and turned around cheerfully, "Oh! Caleb, what a coincidence!"