第16章

After the meal, as we walked out of the restaurant, James said he needed to head back. I told him, "If you need anything while you're here, just give me a call—I'm the local boss around here!" He chuckled, nodded, waved goodbye, and got into a cab.I turned to find Caleb standing there, hands in his pockets, watching me. I linked my arm through his, "Let's head back, my lord."As we strolled along the sidewalk, I held one of Caleb's hands while he fiddled with his keychain with the other. His keychain had a tricky puzzle ring he could effortlessly unlock with one hand. I'd tried before, using both hands and feet, and nearly resorted to a hammer in frustration.I commented to him, "James is quite a good friend, huh?" I felt a sense of pride for having such an impressive friend.Caleb was fiddling with the puzzle ring, not really focusing. He tucked it away and said something that struck like lightning, "I hate natural curls."The reason James was nicknamed 'James' was exactly because of his vibrant natural curls!I protested, "Why? Natural curls are adorable!"He glanced at me, "Adorable? Like a Cup Noodles."His words were too sharp. Annoyed, I poked him in the waist, but as usual, he was quicker and caught my hand.He looked at me coolly, "What did I even say to make you this upset?" Then, he let go and walked ahead.I stood there, thinking for a few seconds before it dawned on me. I couldn't help but smile and rushed to catch up, grabbing his hand, "Oh, oh, oh! I get it now! This is what they call jealousy, ha!"He dismissed it, "You're hallucinating."He tried to pull his hand away, but I held on. "Look, you don't have to be jealous. James was just a high school classmate, not even a close one. Besides, you know I only like pretty boys like you. You should have absolute confidence; who else could possibly have a face whiter than yours?"Mimicking his tone, I added, "Sweetie, don't be mad, okay? Kiss kiss."He smirked, then his hand that had been entangling with mine suddenly grasped my wrist.Confused, I asked, "What are you doing?"He smiled, dangerously charming, and whispered, "Didn't you want a kiss?"Then he pulled me into the small grove inside the campus...Reflecting on this later, I felt a twinge of regret. Throughout our relationship, I've always been the one under pressure. Finally, I had a moment where I could exploit his jealousy, a situation where I had the upper hand. Yet, I only managed to keep control for about twenty seconds.When he walked me to my dorm later, he advised, "Since that curly-haired guy is just a classmate, try not to be overly friendly with him. Trust me, it's better to keep your distance when you're alone together."I laughed, "You say you're not jealous, but clearly you are!"He accepted it, "Fine, maybe I am a bit jealous. But did you hear what I said?"I nodded, "I did, but really, there's nothing between us, and he's not interested in me like that."He replied, "You don't need to worry about anything else. Just remember to keep your distance."I sighed, "Jealous men are so unreasonable."He chuckled softly, "That's why you have to be careful. A jealous man can't be rational."This light-hearted acknowledgment of his jealousy hinted at the deeper bonds and playful dynamics of our relationship, a blend of humor and seriousness that kept our connection strong and engaging.