21 | It's The Little Things

📍Manchester, Jamaica | Mandeville

A Few Days Later | Tuesday, April 9th

1 PM

I remember being in university, and promising myself that my post-graduation career would be anything but a clerical desk job.

I was eager to be outside interacting with people.

With a double major in Economics and Public Policy, I saw myself doing on-the-ground work, in the communities, making a real difference.

Fast forward a few years, and I am doing exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do.

Me and dis desk have beef, hate in yah eesi.

Don't get me wrong, investment banking wasn't the worst.

It paid the bills, so it obviously cyaa be dat bad.

But it was my fallback plan after my marriage ended, the only way to ensure I could provide entirely for myself and my family.

Christien wanted me to fall flat on my ass post-divorce, not even one red cent to my name.

Made him feel accomplished, like he did something.

Cyaa blame anyone but myself, I was fully dependent on that man during our marriage, he paid for my lifestyle and my well-being.

He refused to put me in control of my finances.

A narcissistic ploy, that eventually became my ultimate downfall.

Never again.

Me head finally screw on right.

These days, I was yearning to get back to what electrified me, I hated pacifying my interests and passions.

This was the year of going after what I wanted, what fueled me.

So when Dre asked for my help with his event, I was all in from the start.

Anything weh Dre seh...

"Alright babes, suh as long as yuh can get dem fi agree fi sponsor we good..." he says, adjusting his phone so I can see him better on the Facetime call.

I play around with my AirPods, ensuring they sit comfortably in my ears.

Earlier this week, Karen finished the remodeling on the upper half of the office building, which meant that Ivy and I now have our own offices.

Thank yuh Fada God.

But I still make sure to add an extra element of privacy to all my phone calls.

A listening ear is a running mouth.

Cyaa end up pon Pinkwall again me love...

"Okay so, Karen is out today, but me aguh talk to Jared and see why him haffi seh" I reply to Dre, browsing through the open tabs on my laptop.