33. The Food Festival

It's a holiday morning. Neil sits on his side of the bed, dressed up, going through the sales record. The deals are complete, food been served and payments are received. Now as the calendar reads one more day has passed without Mini, he sits on his bed waiting for his boss to come and show her the progress.

For a person like him, whose devotion for job came naturally, this is unlike him. Since the new year, Neil seeks just one fruit from his hardwork- her twinkling eyes. Height of un-professionalism! He has never been dependent on any other thing as much as he knows he's growing towards her. Not that he's complaining about it. It's just that, he needs her at every walking point of the day around himself and he can't think of how to pass another day without her.

It just begun as a new thing. The first time she entered in his personal life and placed a picture of his late parents on the dresser. While she was still unsure about his reaction, this man, for the first time in a long while, was experiencing the act of being taken care of.

They had an ugly quarrel that evening, he recalls. But to resolve it took only a balcony and some (bitter, underboiled) coffee. That's all she'd done and the whole while he sat there, dazed by the beauty of her face, curious about her personality. It was the first time, he realised it's not just a 'likeness' anymore.

He tried a lot to avoid it. But the simple like carried on for a little more, a hinch more, a notch more, and then,... she mingled her little finger with his. And he signed his heart out, ready to sell off his whole past and give himself to her, just when she wants.

And at this point, the words of confession linger in his tongue. Maybe it's the result of missing her so terribly. The man who means exactly what he says, is not sure whether to say what he means, or not.

Kiya- Papa?

Neil- Hn? (startled)

Kiya- Can you make a hairstyle?

Neil- Hairstyle? Why not?

He grins. Kiya hands her a comb, Neil brushes all her strands, then fights with the rubber band around his fingers to tie it on her untamable hair.

Kiya- Ouch.

Neil- Sorry. Just one sec...

Kiya- Dukh ra h.

Neil- Bss.. bs. Ho gaya. Look?

Kiya stands up and looks in the mirror. A black fountain of hair is popping from top of her head. Her cheek swell and lips quiver in irk.

Kiya- Yeh hairstyle hai?

Neil- Yeah! (grins anyhow) Look, tum kitni acchi lag rahi ho.

Kiya- Yeh... aise hawa mein kyun hai? (Jiggles her head to see if the fountain shakes)

Neil- Kya karun? Your hair is so straight ki gravity ko bhi maat de de.

Kiya- Matlab?

Neil- Kuch nahi, kuch nahi.

He takes off the rubberband, middle parts her hair and secures both sides with hair clips. An idea pops in his head. Without saying another word, he hurries out of room and backs with some colourful stripes in both hands.

Kiya- Paper Stripes!?

Neil- Yes. Seedha dekho? (ties random strands of her hair with the stripes.)

A beautiful smile appears on her face.

Neil- Now, happy?

Kiya nods happily.

.
.
.

Exhibition Hall