34. Climbing

It's 8.35 in the watch. Neil has pigged out on so much food that even his steps have become heavy.

They are walking on an empty street in search of an auto.

Kiya- Papa, hum auto ka wait kyun kar rahe hain? Chal kar kyun nahi ja rahe?

Neil- Andhera ho gaya haina, Kiya. Auto! (He tries to stop one.)

Kiya- Yahan kitni kum gaadiyan hain.

Neil- Chote sheher mein, kum gaadiyan hoti hain. (He lifts her in his arms.) Lagta hai chalte chalte hi jana padega.

He has no strength left in his body. Especially, after competing that chef in the Exhibition. He thanks all the deities that his dish was not a flop.

That he thought would be because he had made a very simple chickpea curry. Maybe it was the seasoning of garlic which attracted so many guests with it's auroma.

If not, then the cameras would have earned him a big sledge. He thought and couldn't pity enough for that poor chef. It must have taken him courage, to do live cooking infront of hundereds of people. But it took only one minute, and the same people brought him down for whom he had made the curry.

This is why Neil hates cooking aroud in public. He dispises opinions of people popping their heads around him and commenting on what he's making. When it's about cooking, it should be only between him and his food.

No one can imagine how stressful it was for him to cook infront of a whole crowd.

It's all because Simpy cheered his name. He curses her in his mind and conitues to walk.

On their way falls the public park. Kiya asks her father if they can go there, to which Neil obviously agrees. He takes her to the swings, the slides and merry-go-round.

Kiya- Woh karun? (Kiya hesitantly asks her father.)

Neil- Climbing?

She nods.

Neil- Okay. It's a good sport... But tum darogi toh nhi?

Kiya takes zero seconds to respond and shakes her head in a no. She has always wished to try it.

Neil- Okay. (She couldn't believe how casually he said it.)

He takes her to the instructor and ensures the safety in that activity. The instructor makes Kiya wear a helmet. Then she set her foot on the climber. Her father takes out his phone to capture.

The first step is always the hardest. She struggled to balance on one brick. The other leg refused to leave the ground. She turns her head to see if he was standing there or not.

Neil- C'mon, Kiya! (She saw him cheering. Her pacing heart calmed in it's own.)

She held two bricks tightly with both hands, then tried to left her body and place her feet on bottom bricks.

Neil- Atta girl! (He shouted, making her smile wide.

Cautiously, she left the grip of one brick and reaches for another. Her leg swinging in the air, looking of a stalk to hold on. Brick by brick she climbed and finally reached the top.

Kiya- Papa!

She waves her hand, with a huge smile on her face. Neil waves back with the same enthusiasm.

Next they take on an errand to watch the evening lights.

Kiya- Aapne meri photo li?

Neil- Han. Video bhi!

Kiya- Without permission.

She mutters and it reminds him of something. He fails control his laugh.

Neil- Apni beti ka video lene ke liye bhi permission chahiye hogi? Okk, Kiya Madam. Ab aap hi batao main kya karun. (He sits down on a bench.)

(Kiya sits beside him and taps her chin like a thinker.

Suddenly they hear the music of a violin.

Main raat din yeh dua karun,

Tere liye main jeeyun marun,

Charon pahar tujhe dekha larun,

Mera jahan yeh tujhpe fana karun,

Zikr tumhara jab jab hota hai,

Dekho na hothon pe tera ehsas reh jaata hai.

He recalls the lyrics.

Under the lamp, a boy in his twenties was playing it. A girl was sitting beside him. With their eyes closed, they were lost in the coincidence of being in one other's company. Out of blue an image abrupts in his mind. He envisions himself and Mini sharing this moment.

Will she enjoy it if Neil performs her a romantic tune on the violin?

Kiya- Papa, chalen?

The dream ends. He doesn't know how to play a violin.

Neil- Hn? Yeah.

.

.

.

Next Morning

Neil - Aaj der kardi bhai?

Kirpal- Maaf karna saab ji. Meri bhabi maike gayi hain. Toh bhatijje bhatijji ko paronthi khilane mein, deri ho gayi thodi.

Neil- Accha accha. Jaldi tol.

Kirpal- Kya baat hai saab ji? Aaj badi jaldi mein ho?

Neil- Obviously bhai. Aaj Mini jo aane wali hai.

Kirpal- Toh Madam ji ke aane ki taiyyari hai.

Neil- Bakwas mat kar.

Kirpal gives him a glare. Neil rolls his eyes.

Neil- Taiyyari toh bahut si cheezon ki karni hai.

Kirpal- Bahut si cheezein?

Neil- Woh main soch raha hoon. Iss baar Mini ko apne dil ki baat bata doon.

Kirpal- Hein? Aapne abhi taq batayi nahi?

He shakes his head in a no.

Kirpal- Jaldi karo saab ji. Sundar kudiyan zyada der kawari nai tikti.

Neil- Hnm... (His fist comes to is chin)

Kirpal- Kya karna hai?

Neil takes the milk container from his hand.

Neil- Baad mein. (Smiled and left)

♥︎ ♥︎ ♥︎

An early update cuz the love I received in the comments made my heart sing with dopamine and adrenaline. Thank you so much for that.

And sorry, I'm taking a short break. My exams are really near. I hope you won't mind it. I'll try to steal time for writing in between, but forgive if I couldn't. And stay tuned always cuz yk what's coming next. See ya all! Much love!