Chapter Fifteen - Questions

Later that same night, Toby snuck out. He wanted answers. He didn’t want to be left with knowing Mark is a villain. No. He wanted to know why. Why be a villain? Why do this? Why harm people? Why take Tommy’s powers but not his? He was going to find out either way. He was determined.

He visited the abandoned hospital first. He had a feeling Mark would be there of all places. He walked up to the hospital, Mark standing outside. “Thought you’d visit.” Mark said.
“How long-” Toby started.
“Been waiting for about two minutes. I know you and how long it takes you to get here.”
“How did you know I was gonna come here?”
“You don’t let big things like this happen without answers. So, you can ask your questions if you’d like.”
“Okay. First question. Why?” Toby asked.
“Why? Why what?”
“Why do any of this? Why harm these innocent people? Why lie to Tommy and I? Why fake being Tommy’s friend? Why fake loving me?”
“Stop.” Mark lightly grabbed Toby by the shoulders. “I may have faked and lied about a lot of things, but I never faked us.”
“And how can I trust that?” Toby pushed Mark away, taking a step back. “If I can’t trust half of the time we spent together, how can I trust that you actually care?”
“Toby, I would genuinely tear this world apart for you.” Mark stepped closer.
“You would tear the world apart regardless!” Toby shouted. “You’re already doing it!”
“Toby-”
“No!” Toby cut off. “I want you to prove that we weren’t faked! I want proof!” He was tearing up.
Without a word, Mark pulled him into a comforting hug. “Toby,” Mark started. “I promise you, no matter how bad I am, I would never fake a relationship like ours. I would go from heaven to hell for you.”
“Then why…” Toby sniffled. “Why go against everything Tommy and I worked for..?”
“It was unfair.”
“Unfair..? What was?”
“You and Tommy. You both got cool abilities. I got nothing. And you both rubbed it in my face. Sure, you didn’t mean to, but Tommy did.”
“Tommy meant no harm!” Toby shouted, pushing away. “I get he’s annoying and unbearable at times but that’s just how he is!”
“So he makes me the bait on every mission? He makes me plan everything just so I can be shoved to the side?” Mark stepped closer, his voice raising. “He didn’t let me have one single thing on those missions. Before I became your big villain, I almost died on so many of those missions. I had to learn all of the things I know. It was for my own safety.”
“So you harm all of these people?!” Toby shouted, taking a step closer.
“How else will I know what works and what doesn't?”
“These poor people had families!”
“Most of them get to leave!”
“They do?” Toby asked, stepping back.
“Yeah? As long as they aren’t horribly deformed.”
“.... what do you mean by that?”