chapter thirteen - blood born

c l a r k e   g r i f f i n

Octavia returned a little while later, and Bellamy and I had both managed to stop throwing up. We sat by the door, waiting for news, and when Octavia finally came back, we were given just that. 

"Luke is fine," she said, crouching outside the door. "They've done some tests, and the virus is blood born. It can't spread without infected blood."

"The blood in the lab," Bellamy realized. 

"Yeah," Octavia confirmed. "Something was wrong with it. We haven't figured out what yet. Raven's still running the simulation tests, writing down the progression of symptoms."

"Progression?" I asked. That was never a good sign. 

"Look, Raven told me to tell you not to panic, okay? She'll know more in the morning. The best thing you both can do is rest and deal with things as they come."

It was easier said than done, but I didn't argue with her. There wasn't anything Octavia could do to help, except for making sure our people were safe and taken care of. 

"I'm going back down to the medical lab," Octavia said. "I've been doing supply runs all day, and they might need me. I'm glad you're both still breathing. Please try to stay that way."

"You too," Bellamy said.

 Octavia left, and I leaned my head against the door. "I'm so sorry," I breathed, and once again, I started to cry. 

Bellamy looked over at me in alarm. "Why are you sorry?"

I closed my eyes, shaking my head in disbelief. "This is all my fault. I dragged out to the medical lab. I could've gone by myself, and---"

"And then you'd be in here alone," Bellamy said. "And what good would that do?"

I sobbed into my hands, hiding my head in my knees. 

"We're in this together, Clarke," Bellamy said. "When are you going to get that in your head? If you had been sick, I would have been in this room in a heartbeat. You would have done the same for me. You tried to do the same for me."

I nodded, but I couldn't stop crying. Maybe that was another symptom. 

"We need to get some water in here," Bellamy tried to joke. "You're going to get dehydrated."

I leaned against his shoulder, half laughing, half sobbing.

---

About an hour later, Bellamy tried to climb to his feet. 

"What're you doing?" I asked urgently. Part of me thought he was moving to go throw up again. But he leaned against the wall, offering me his hand. 

"We're moving to the bed," he said. "The floor hurts."

Sighing, I grabbed his hand and let him pull me to my feet. It was a good thing he was strong --- my legs were wobbly, like I hadn't used them in years. 

Bellamy basically pushed me onto the bed, and I moved over so he could lay beside me. The whole thing was incredibly taxing, like we were running a marathon instead of taking a few steps. 

Bellamy groaned as his head hit the pillow. "I've never felt this bad in my life."

"Me neither," I agreed. 

"Actually," he said. "It was worse when we were vomiting. It's not so bad now."

"My head hurts," I said. 

"My stomach hurts," Bellamy added. 

"Everything hurts," I decided, turning my head to look over at him.