chapter six - safe returns

"I can't believe you agreed to that," Bellamy said after a moment.

I turned to face him again, crossing my arms. "We need them more than they need us," I said. "This way... this way we're even. We don't have to worry about them kicking us out, or turning on us. Everything is out on the table."

"You're trying to control who people fall in love with," Bellamy argued. "It's not right. It won't work."

"It's either this or certain death with the grounders outside these walls," I said. "And who's to say we won't fall for these people? Jasper seems to be having no problems."

"You know it's not Jasper I'm worried about," Bellamy said dismissively.

I took a step towards him. "What, someone you've had your eye on? Because I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone else to occupy your time."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Bellamy asked harshly. 

"Oh, please. You've had girls in and out of your tent since we landed on the ground."

Bellamy rolled his eyes. "You don't get to judge me. You screwed Finn, what, a week after we landed?"

His words stung more than I thought they would. "Yeah, before you shot him."

Bellamy bit his tongue, eyes finally leaving mine. "I'm sorry," he said. "I don't want to fight with you."

"I don't want to fight with you either."

"I just... I hope you know what you're getting us into," he added. "Because they're all going to hate us."

"Hate me," I corrected. "Not you."

"Us," Bellamy said firmly. He looked back up to me, gaze now determined instead of angry. "You don't have to do this alone."

"Us," I agreed. 

---

We gathered everyone in the dorm to give them the news. 

After Octavia and Bellamy had reunited, he joined me at the front of the room, a grim expression on his face. "Take it in," he said. "We might be shunned after this."

"Raven already hates us," I said. "What's a few more?"

Bellamy smiled grimly, and we turned to the crowd. 

"We just spoke to President Wallace," I began. "And we've agreed on some terms that ensure our safety at Mount Weather."

Bellamy cleared his throat. "First of all, Mount Weather has agreed to release their grounder prisoners in order to make peace with the grounders and have a fresh start. However, they've been using this prisoners for blood transfusions to heal injured patrol members."

"In return for the peace this ensures," I cut in. "Guaranteeing our eventual return to the ground, President Wallace has asked that we donate our blood to help those impacted by radiation. They've found our blood to be insurmountably more effective than that of the grounders --- so if a few of us donate each day, everyone can be healed."

There was a slight murmur among the crowd, but no outrage. Yet.

"That's not all," I continued. 

"In order to make sure that the descendants of the Mount Weather citizens can one day return to the ground," Bellamy said. "President Wallace has asked that each of us---"

"---eventually---" I interjected. 

"---marry someone from their population," Bellamy finished. "And follow their reproduction rules where possible."