chapter seventeen - underwater

c l a r k e   g r i f f i n

The soreness came before we made it to the showers, but compared to everything else we'd dealt with, it didn't seem nearly as bad. We took turns giving each other massages, staying on the floor to avoid getting sweat in the comforters. 

My legs were starting to ache as I kneeled to massage Bellamy's shoulders, but I tried to hold out as long as I could. I was just so happy he was alive. If we could make it through that, we could make it through the last stage. We'd be alright. 

"You know we can switch whenever," Bellamy said, his voice muffled by the floor. 

"Mhm," I said, trying to hide the discomfort in my voice. 

I was unsuccessful. Bellamy rolled over, crossing his arms. "Lay down," he said.

"Don't be bossy," I said, but I did. 

He seemed to read my mind, his hands finding my legs immediately. I closed my eyes, enjoying the relief as his hands worked up my calves. 

"I think it's getting better," he says. "This has to be the end, right? We'll be out of here soon."

I had forgotten that Bellamy wasn't there to hear the rest of the stages. He didn't know about the eye of the storm, or how bad it was supposed to get afterwards. And I didn't have the heart to tell him. Maybe, if he didn't know, it would be better. 

"Yeah," I said, exhaling as he switched legs. "In no time at all."

I had to stop talking as Bellamy's hands moved up to my thighs, because I was in so much pain I thought I might cry out. I didn't want to give him the chance to make some stupid comment about it, which I knew he would. 

"I can't wait," Bellamy said. "To be out of here. You're great company, and everything, but I want to get out on patrol. Back on the ground."

When he finished with my legs, I sat up, rolling out my shoulders. "I'm going to shower," I told him. "Don't die while I'm gone."

Bellamy nodded, and I left him alone to get clean. 

I decided I didn't have the energy to stand in the shower, so I ran myself a bath instead. I left a change of clothes beside the sink and ditched my sweat soaked clothes in the garbage bag with the bloody towels. I even poured in a few bubbles, deciding a little extra comfort wouldn't hurt.

As the water enveloped me, I groaned. It was the best I had felt in days. After I washed my hair and skin, I slid under the water and just stayed there for a while, enjoying the absence of pain and soreness. 

When I emerged from the water, pushing my hair out of my eyes, there was a knock at the door. 

"Bellamy?" I asked. 

He didn't say anything, opening the door. I crowded my bubbles over my body, eyes wide. "What're you---"

"This isn't the last stage, is it," he said. "We're not getting better yet."

I watched him for a moment, then wrung out my hair. "Turn around," I told him. When he did, I climbed out of the bath and drained it, pulling on the clothes I had brought in with me. After I was clothed again, I started to run another bath. 

Bellamy turned back around, frowning. "Didn't you just have one of those?" he asked. 

When it was full again, I got in, still wearing my shorts and tank top. "Come on," I said, tapping the top of the water. 

Bellamy paused for a moment, watching me. Then, he got in after me, sitting between my legs and resting his arms on the side of the tub. 

Neither of us said anything. Bellamy leaned his head backwards, resting it on my shoulder, and I gently played with his hair, breathing him in. Somehow, even after days of being stuck in one room, he still smelled like the forest. 

"There's only one more," I said. "One more stage, and then we're done."

"But it's bad," Bellamy said, sinking further into the water. "Or you would've told me."

I nodded against his hair. "But we'll be alright."

"You can't just keep saying that." Bellamy sat up, looking over his shoulder at me. "How many of the cells died, Clarke? The test ones?"

I shook my head. "You said you didn't want to know all that. Knowing won't help you."

"So, a lot of them," Bellamy concluded. 

"And you almost did too, okay?" I exclaimed. "You almost died, and we brought you back. That's already something Raven couldn't do. Dr. Singh is still alive, and so are we, and we're stronger than some stupid man-made virus. We survived one before."

Bellamy shook his head slightly, laying back down. "Whatever."

I frowned. "Please don't die just to prove your point."

To my relief, Bellamy snorted. "I'm not that stubborn."

---

After we'd dried off and changed into more comfortable clothing, we sat at the front door and ate food brought to us by Raven. Neither of us were very hungry, and I was frankly scared of upsetting our stomachs. But we each got down a few slices of fruit and some buttered toast, then returned our plates to Raven. 

"Dr. Singh is still going," Raven updated us. "There's a permanent guard outside her door just in case, and she hasn't eaten anything."

"How's Octavia?" Bellamy asked. 

"Handling everything very elegantly," Raven replied. "She's even enforcing your deal, Clarke. Making sure people are trying to get to know the Mount Weather citizens. She's hosting a mixer in the dining hall tonight, trying to get people talking."

Bellamy smiled softly. 

"Tell her we're grateful," I said. 

"Listen," Raven said. "I've got my computer with me, and I'm working remotely. I'm gonna stay out in the hallway, just in case you guys need anything."

I avoided looking at Bellamy. I knew she was staying because she was worried --- so was I. I didn't want to be in pain again. I didn't want to go through what had almost happened to Bellamy, and I certainly didn't want to watch him go through it, either. If Raven was staying here, it meant she thought there was a big enough chance that we would need her help. 

"You should have these," she added, rolling a few cylinders under the door. More adrenaline shots. "Keep them on hand, just in case."

This time, I did look at Bellamy, chewing my lip. 

"We're fine," he said quietly, somewhat unconvincingly. 

"This is the end," Raven promised. "If you've made it this far, you'll be fine."

As she said the words, my neck started to feel stiff. I looked at Bellamy to see whether he felt anything, and he was already rubbing his arms. 

"We're gonna lay down," I told Raven. "Thank you for being here."

"I'm not going anywhere," she promised. 

Bellamy and I climbed back into bed, taking our usual spots and breathing deeply. 

"What's going to happen, Clarke?" Bellamy asked. "I don't care if I didn't want to know. Tell me."

"Immobilization," I said. "Stiffness. Like your bones are fusing together."

Bellamy said nothing. He stared at me, face pressed into the pillow, expression unreadable. 

I couldn't look at him any longer, so I turned over and stared at the closed door. I wasn't going to cry. We were going to be fine. 

And then, gently, like he thought I wouldn't notice, Bellamy's arm wrapped around me. He moved closer, so he was right against me, and rested his chin atop my head. 

"Together," he said softly. 

---

a/n: together </3

i genuinely hate the 100 so much like. who do they think they are being so mean to everyone

favourite show fr