𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐨𝐱

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

I woke up, feeling dizzy and disorientated. I was in a box, heading upwards. I looked down and immediately felt sick at the sight. I was high up, and it was dark, so I couldn't even see the bottom of where I was. The box was a metal, gridded box. It was strange. There were a couple of crates in there with me. After a moment, I looked up, and I was heading right toward a ceiling. I shouted in fear, but the box suddenly stopped moving.

I looked up, blinded by the light. It was so bright. I heard the box open above me, and someone jumped in. I slowly looked up, trying to adjust to the light. I saw the silhouettes of about a dozen people, and I could hear them whispering amongst themselves.

"It's a girl?"

It sounded more like a question than a statement. The voice sounded like it came from the person in front of me.

I looked up, and I was able to make out the features of them. He had short, blonde hair and brown eyes. He was slim, but muscular are the same time. It was strange.

"My name's Newt. C'mon, let's help you up.." He stuck out his hand to help me to my feet. Um. First off, what kind of name is Newt? Second-

"Where the hell am I?" I asked, confused, but I still accepted his hand, and I pulled myself up so I'm now standing. I suddenly realised the dozen people around me were also boys.

"That's a good question. Welcome to the Glade. And this-" Newt gestured to the box we were stood in. "Is the Box. Do you remember your name? Or anything about yourself. Don't panic if you can't. If you can't remember your name now, it should come to you in a day or two." Newt explained reassuringly. I paused for a moment, trying to remember it. I shook my head and frown. "That's okay. Come on, let's get out of the Box, I'll show you around, then you'll spend a night in the Pit to gather your thoughts. Sound good?"

"Mhm." I hummed softly. Newt climbed out of the Box and held out his hand for me to grab as I climb out. I pulled myself up once more. "Thanks." I mumbled quietly. The boys around us created a path. It was like parting the sea. Me and Newt moved through the path.

(Don't worry, I won't make you go through the pain of the tour. You know how it goes)
TIMESKIP: AFTER THE TOUR

Newt sighed after explaining what was going on. We walked across the field slowly. I occasionally looked away from Newt, and at the people around us. There were some working on gardening, getting huts set up, weaving baskets, purifying water, taking food to the kitchen for.. Frypan I think Newt said his name was. He also told me that new Gladers were supposed to come up once a month, but another boy came up a day or two before me called Thomas. I hadn't met him yet.

"But that just about covers it. Any questions?" Newt questioned. I looked back at him and shook my head. "Okay. So you seem surprisingly calm, so I don't think the Pit is necessary. Since you're a girl, you'll have your own hut for privacy, of course." I nodded again, glancing ahead. I suddenly blinked, my head feeling a slight fuzziness.

"Cool, okay -"

"Y/n." I say suddenly, interrupting Newt. He stared at me, puzzled.

"What?"

"Y/n. That's my name. Y/n." I repeated, happy that I finally remembered my name. Newt smiled at me.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Y/n." He greeted calmly. I got a funny feeling in my stomach when he said that. "So, I'm going to leave you be for now. Your hut is over there," Newt pointed at a small hut along the treeline. "Feel free to meet some people or just have some alone time, but remember what I said about those walls, okay? Don't-"

"Don't go anywhere near it. Otherwise, you or Minoh will kill me before whatever is inside does." I finished for him. Newt chuckled quietly.

"You learn so fast." Silence took over for a moment. "Right, there's going to be a bonfire tonight if you want to join. Also, just to warn you, you will be called Greenie. It's what we call all the new Gladers, so you'll have to get used to it for a while, but of course, feel free to tell 'em your name's Y/n." Newt shrugged as he said the last part. I nodded.

"Okay, sounds.. lovely. But honestly, I think I'll stay in my hut for now. I'll probably come out later to try and talk to some people before the bonfire." Newt nodded in acknowledgement and began to walk away.

"No worries, if you need anything, feel free to come and find me." We exchanged a final nod for the 100th time, and I feel a little more relaxed now I was on my own. For now, anyway. I headed to my hut, the wind gently blowing through my h/c hair.

Once I was inside the hut, I closed the door. It was so quiet. Cool temperature-wise too. There was a camping cot in the corner made from wood and twine. There was also a small table and nightstand, also made from wood.

I sighed and sit on my cot, taking in the reality of the situation. I didn't know where I was. I was in something they called a "Glade" surrounded by some weird maze that changes with something that can kill according to Newt, but no matter how much I pleaded, he wouldn't tell me what it was that was running around in there, which was fair enough I suppose considering the fact I'd only just shown up in that.. Box thing if whatever they call it.

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

A/N: Hi! I'm sorry this is a short one, I haven't written in a while due to writers block, but hopefully, this book actually goes somewhere! Also, feel free to interact in comments :)