My Miracle Day

*BANGGG!

I was rudely awoken by the sound of smashing glass and yelling.

"Ahh nothing like waking up to your parents arguing on an early Tuesday morning" i thought to myself.

Their fighting has gotten a-lot worse lately, throwing things and slamming doors. My little sister Leila and my little brother Tristan came running into my room with scared faces.

"Are they okay?" Leila asked with a wobbly voice

"Mhm yeah something probably just fell off the table, see its gone quite"

Wait... its gone quite.

"Stay here okay, I'll be right back. Just make sure not to come out until i come back" I said firmly and they both nodded in agreement. They're so young and innocent they don't deserve to be in a house like this.

You know what they say, if you hear arguing and it goes quiet it's not a good sign..
i walked down the steps just enough to peer over the staircase into the kitchen.
I couldn't believe what i was seeing, my dad hunched over my mum with his fists clenched and my mum holding the side of her face. I covered my mouth with my hands so they wouldn't hear me, my eyes started to well up with tears.
Flashbacks started flooding my head from when i was younger. Seeing the same position my dad was in, standing over my mum because he had just caught her buying drugs again after she said she'll stop. I couldn't help but think of the worse.

*Flashback*

"You promised, you promised me you wouldn't" my dad cried out.

"Im sorry i-i just cant. I met up with sarah lynn for dinner an- and she suggested it, and with everything going on im sorry i couldn't help myself." My mum explained.

"Everything going on? You mean looking after OUR daughter? I dont ask much from you and this is how you repay me? I work hard for this roof over your head, for clothes on your body, FOR THE MONEY YOU USED TO BUY DRUGS!?" My dad started getting heated and walked closer to my mum closing the gap between her and the wall.
"YOU COME HOME HIGH BARELY ABLE TO WALK AND YOU EXPECT ME TO THINK YOU CAN LOOK AFTER Y/N?" The gap had now fully closed they were now face to face. "Am i not good enough for you huh?" My dad spat in her face.

"N-no please, i just i don't know. It had been so long i just wanted to see- please, please dont do anything" at this point my mum was begging, tears streaming down her face with bright red cheeks and pupil's the size of golf balls.

"SHUTUP, I don't wanna hear your excuses!!" He yelled in her face

"Please just plea-" and with that my dad raised his arm with his hand in a fist, swinging directly at my mums face. Everything was moving in slow motion as i sat there in the corner crying not understanding what was happening.
His fist connected with her face and my mum let out a shrieking scream as she fell to the ground.

For the following 2 years after that incident my mum turned to drugs everyday, and my dad would get angry everyday, it was repetitive and confusing for me as a young child that went from loving parents, to parents that couldn't stand being in the same room looking each other in the eye. Things would only get physical if my mum tried to argue back. My dad tried so hard to get help for mum but she wasn't any help to herself. Magically one day she came home sober for the first time in two years, i like to call it my miracle day. Me n dad found out that sarah lynn had just vanished and mum had felt like it was a sign to come home and live a good life.
My parents worked really really hard on their relationship and thats what lead them here today, with myself and my two younger siblings.

*End of flashback*

Ive learned to lock that memory out of my mind that i felt a little lightheaded seeing what i just saw.

I  ran back up to the top of the stairs "mumm dadd! Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah we're fine darling, get your brother and sister ready for school please" my mum yelled out.

"Yeah okay, but are you sure you're okay?" I shouted still from the top of the stairs, I couldn't go down and face either of them.

"Shes fine bub, just hurry up or you'll be late" my dad yelled back. He sounded furious and a little hurt.

I walked down the hall and back to my siblings. They looked terrified.

"Is mum and dad okay?" Tristan asked.

"Never better, now come on get ready please."

I hated lying to them, but i will try my best to never let them see that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Auuuu so what do we think so far guys?

Feedback is appreciated!

🩷