Synopsis, Author's Note, and Content Warnings

Synopsis:

Chloe Wallace needs a new start. When she lands in Washington, D.C. she hopes for the best. Finding a new job, meeting new people, and living a normal life away from her abusive ex-husband.

She moves into the Capital Plaza Apartments, right across the hall from a peculiar but sweet FBI agent named Dr. Spencer Reid.

Slowly, the two warm up to each other despite having little in common. But when Chloe starts getting disturbing letters and women in D.C. begin turning up dead, she's forced to turn to the man she's falling for for help.

(Title comes from Michel Foucault's book, "A History of Madness", published in 1961.)

Author's Note:

This is my very first time dipping my toes into this fandom. I don't know what this audience is like, I don't even know if this is going to get any traction. Please be gentle with me lol I am so fucking scared.

I've been watching Criminal Minds since 2005. I've always loved Reid and I adore MGG. If you're reading this because you read my Bucky Barnes stuff and don't know anything about this show, it's great and you should watch it. Do you love damaged, nerdy men? You'll love Spencer Reid. I promise. He's so pretty.

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be a criminal profiler or a forensic psychologist and work with serial offenders. Instead, I got a master's degree and did two years of a PhD in criminology (I dropped out). During that time, I wound up doing theatre with prisoners, grading papers, crying over Pierre Bourdieu, and yelling at the Canadian government. Now, I write fanfiction and romance novels and work in finance. I use my criminology degrees to be an insufferable asshole to boomers on Facebook as God intended. I ABSOLUTELY will be using my criminology degrees for this fic.

I'll pick and choose which canon events I use for Reid's background. If you're familiar with my writing, you know I alter things as I please. That's the beauty of fanfic, you get to play in the space! <3 If that's not what you're looking for, that's cool! I won't be offended if you choose not to read any further. Not every fic is for everyone!

Content Warnings:

- Domestic violence and descriptions of domestic violence. This is going to be graphic and partially based on experience and statistics.
- Murder and discussions of murder.
- Discussions of past drug use.
- Discussions of attempted suicide.
- Discussions of mental illness.
- PTSD.
- Stalking.
- Oral sex.
- Soft smut.
- Occasional rough sex.
- Bondage.
- Choking.
- Humiliation kink.
- More content warnings will be added at the beginning of each chapter.

Tropes:

- Touch her and you die.
- Age gap (9 years).
- She falls first, he falls harder.
- Neighbors.
- Strangers to lovers.