(16) high and dry

CW: dom!chloe, handjobs, interrupted smut (i'll make it worth it i promise), fatphobia (dean's a dick), past suicide attempts, abuse, past violence, shitty police officers

chloe.

"I thought this was a hotel."

We pull up to a large two story apartment complex. Dark windows, and sleek design for D.C. It looks just run down enough to blend in with the other apartments around it.

"That was just something Agent Hotchner said to keep you calm," JJ replies.

"Yeah, we're sending you to a safe house doesn't exactly have a great connotation to it," Emily chuckles.

I huff a laugh, shifting in my seat.

"I guess not."

"Is it unit 8 again?" Spencer asks, leaning over to examine the building.

I guess he would have been here before considering how dangerous his job is. He told me about Hotch's wife; about how some of these killers start hunting the people they love. Dean seems like that kind of person.

But he's not a serial killer. That man had me under lock and key. He was texting me all the time, calling constantly asking for updates on where I was, how much money I was spending... he didn't have time to...

Take out his rage toward me on someone else.

It's really hard to stop lying to myself.

"Yep. It's got the sturdiest bed," Emily replies.

"Why would we need that?" Spencer asks.

JJ and Emily turn around, staring at him with their brows cocked. I put my hand over my mouth, stifling laughter as Spencer's cheeks burn and his body goes rigid.

"I hate you guys," he mutters, unbuckling his seatbelt and Emily lets out a groan.

"Aww, come on, Reid! You walked right into that one!"

"You kind of did," I chuckle as he opens the door for me, helping me out of the SUV.

My own knight in shining armor.

"Oh, you can't even defend me!" He teases. "Do you know how mean they are to me?"

"Oh, that is not—"

"For my 25th birthday, JJ bought me trick candles!"

"And let me guess, you spent at least 10 minutes trying to blow them out."

I cock a brow and JJ grins. I'm trying to keep the mood light despite the endless weight that's crushing me. My life is in danger, and yet I'm still trying to hold it together. I don't like crying, and I don't like getting as emotional as I did back at the bureau. It clouds my judgment and makes me do stupid things.