13. Victor gets to know the real Paula

Victor led me through the streets of sleeping Warsaw, and we rode on for so long until the towering buildings characteristic of the cityscape gave way to more sprawling and less towering industrial buildings. We veered off the main road and only stopped in front of a tall gate.

Victor instructed me to wait, then he dismounted the motorcycle himself, rubbing his chilled fingers, and approached the fence. At the same time, a powerful man emerged from the guardhouse, who from a distance could even be mistaken for Alec, but as he got closer, it was immediately obvious that he was decidedly older than him. His sparrow–like, evenly cropped hair gave him the appearance of a military general, and his body posture only intensified that impression.

– What's this? – he growled unpleasantly, approaching Victor. – This is private property. Get out of here.

– Oh, it's you – he said in a completely different tone, polite and respectful. – I didn't recognize you with that motorcycle. I didn't know you had one.

– Because it's not mine – Victor explained casually, completely undeterred by the chilly welcome. – Listen, Tobi... – He paternalistically placed his hand on the man's shoulder. – Be kind enough to tell the boys to avoid the threesome.

The guard glanced furtively in my direction, then nodded. –Of course, boss,– he replied immediately. –And...,– he stammered and threw another glance in my direction, but he couldn't see much because I was still wearing a helmet. –What should I tell them?–

– To avoid the threesome – Victor repeated and shifted so that it was difficult for the guard to observe me. – I don't need extra protection today, and I'll turn on the light, and I don't want everyone to flock here. So that no one is lurking around there except me and... – He turned his head slightly in my direction, but quickly looked back at the big guy. – Well. Until further notice.

– Yes, sir. – The guard made a gesture as if saluting, and threw another curious glance in my direction. – Have a good night – he added in a jocular tone.

Victor said nothing in response, just returned to me with a stony face and settled back on the motorcycle, and when the gate opened, he led me further. It took us less than five minutes to cover the distance between us and the mysterious threesome. In the meantime, I could see up close the power that Victor had managed to build over these few years. Undoubtedly, it was power, because I remembered him as a guy who only had a pack of cigarettes with him and heavily worn jeans, because he could never ask for new ones, and now...

I had no idea that what he was talking about with such enthusiasm on our first meeting was so enormous. We passed massive halls, and the lack of any division signs indicated that they all belonged to that rascal who was clinging to my waist like a young koala to its mother.

Under hall number three, I turned off the engine and allowed myself to be led into the dark interior. For a moment, I stood in complete darkness, hearing only Victor bustling in one corner, and then the light flashed, revealing to my eyes a grand interior where, as far as the eye could see, there were numerous sizable metal structures at various stages of completion.

I approached the nearest object and examined it closely.