Prologue/Over the Rainbow

For nearly forty years this story has given faithful service to the Young in Heart; and Time has been powerless to put its kindly philosophy out of fashion. To those of you who have been faithful to it in return ... and to the Young in Heart ... we dedicate this story.
—————————————————————————
We open up to Gotham City, (tinted in colors), a young boy who is wearing a light blue overalls, gingham over his white shirt, brownish black hair and black shoes. This is Dick Grayson, the ward of the rich millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, walking on the way home from school with his new, small, brown cairn terrier puppy, Toto. They look at a house, which belongs to Miss Gulch, Gotham City's meanest woman in the city. Toto whimpers.

Dick: Okay, Toto. I'll let you go but make it quick. We don't want Miss Gulch to see us. (He opened the wooden fence gate to the garden and Toto ran to the garden. She saw a white Persian cat. The cat looked at Toto and hissed at her. Toto started to chase the cat.) Holy Tom and Jerry! Toto, stop!

The cat stopped at the end of the fence. Just as Toto was about to pounce on the cat, someone hit Toto on the back of the rake. It was Miss Gulch.

Miss Gulch: Richard Grayson, keep your mutt away from my garden and my cat!

Dick: I'm sorry, Miss Gulch. She's just a puppy. She can't help it. (Toto snarls at her and bit her in the leg. Miss Gulch screams in pain) Toto, no!

Toto ran back to Dick's arms.

Miss Gulch: That's it! I'm calling Chief O'Hara and the pound to destroy your dog!

She went inside to call the pound and the police.

Dick: Let's get out of here, Toto! (They ran away from Miss Gulch's house. After a few miles, he stops to check on his puppy.) (Worried) Holy marathon! She isn't coming yet, Toto. Did she hurt you, girl? She tried to, didn't she? Come on, we'll go tell Aunt Harriet and the others. Come on Toto. (He rushes home to tell his aunt, Harriet Cooper. But she and Alfred, the butler, are more concerned about the broken incubator and they're counting the chicks. Dick flings the gate open. He ran up to Harriet) Aunt Harriet! Aunt Harriet! Just listen to what Miss Gulch did to Toto.

Harriet: (Not listening) Dick, please we're trying to count.

Dick: (Protesting) Oh, but Aunt Harriet she hit her.

Alfred: Don't bother us, Master Dick. This old incubators gone bad and we're likely to lose some of our chicks.

Dick: (Sees the chick, concerned and picks it up) Gosh, the poor little things. (Gets back on subject) Oh, but Aunt Harriet. Miss Gulch hit Toto right over with the back of a rake. Just because she gets in her garden, she chases her nasty old cat every day.

Harriet: (Continues counting) Seventy, Dick please!

Dick: Oh, but she doesn't do it every day. Just once or twice a week. She can't catch her old cat anyway. And now she's gonna get the sheriff and to destroy-

Harriet: Dick, Dick, we're busy.

Dick: (Understands and walks away) Oh, all right.

Harriet and Alfred are taking the chicks out of the incubator.

Alfred: Poor Master Dick and his Miss Gulch troubles. Goodness all hemlocks, you know, he ought to have somebody to play with.

Harriet: I know, but we all got to work out our own problems, Alfred.

Alfred: Yes.

Harriet: Oh, I hope we got them in time.

Alfred: Yes.

In the backyard of Wayne Manor, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne, his girlfriend, Selina Kyle, and librarian and Commissioner Gordon's daughter, Barbara Gordon are fixing a wagon in the farmyard.