Chapter 5: Pam Fields

Emily POV

I walk into school in deep thought. I plan to go on another date with Ali. I hope to take her to dinner Saturday at a nice restaurant. I might ask her to be my girlfriend, but I really don't want to rush things. I walk to my locker and hear Hanna and Spencer, are they arguing?

"Are you serious?!" Hanna shouts, making me look their way.

Spencer is nodding vigorously while looking at her phone.

Hanna spots me and comes running over in her 3 inch heels, making her about an inch or two still shorter than me. "Did you know that it's Thursday?!" Hanna asks. Is she serious? This was their argument?

I look at her, bewildered, and shut my locker. "Considering yesterday was Wednesday, yes." I reply and she shakes her head.

"I was so excited! I thought it was Friday. Damn, one more day." She says, disappointed.

We chat for a few minutes, I realize class starts very soon. Where's Ali?

"Hey Han." I cut her off, she's talking about shoes. "Where's Ali?"

She looks around and shrugs. "Not sure, she's probably sick or just overslept." She says right before the bell rings. "Let's go." She links our arms together and we walk to English.

This class goes by slow. Like really slow, every second feels like a minute. At times like this, I miss Ezra as my teacher. At least he made it go by a little faster. About halfway into class, someone walks through the doorway. I look over and see that it's Ali.

She hands the teacher the late note and slips into her seat behind Hanna. I look at her and mouth 'What happened?' She looks down and a moment later my phone vibrates.

Ali: Overslept

I turn around and nod at her. She smiles her beautiful smile, and looks at the teacher to listen.

When the bell rang everyone filed out. All of us (the girls) go in separate directions, we only have English and Calc together.

The rest of the school day went by rather quickly. Before I knew it, I was walking to my car.

"Hey Em!" I hear Ali yell while she catches up to me. "Can I get a ride? My dad dropped me off on the way to work."

I smile. "Of course. You want to come over?" I ask while opening the passenger door for her.

I walk over to the driver side and get in. She looks at me before replying. "Sure. Is your mom back yet?"

I turn on the car and pull out. "Yup. She got back Tuesday." I say.

"Good. Now you won't starve." She replies while smiling.

I laugh lightly. "This is true."

We drive the rest of the way in a comfortable silence.

We pulled up to my house and I parked right beside my mom. I get out and walk up to the doorstep and wait for Ali.

She walks up and I open the door. My mom is in the living room watching TV.

"Hey Mom." I greet while walking up the first step with Ali in tow.

She looks over and notices Ali. "Hello Alison." She says sweetly. "Hi Em. How was school, girls?"

"Great Mrs. Fields. Thank you for asking. " Ali says politely. Mom nods her head and looks at me expectantly.

I smile. "It was good, a normal day." She nods. "Well me and Ali will be in my room mom." I say while walking up.