Chapter Fifty: The Harder They Fall

Ruby clung to Hazel, her delicate hands tangled in her shirt as if clinging to a lone buoy in an infinite ocean. Hazel gazed back at the motionless spider; the weight of owing her life to Ethan and the overwhelming grief brought more warm tears streaming down her cheeks. The sight of the lifeless spider confirmed what she feared: Ethan had not made it. Guilt surged through her, sharp as any blade. How many more would die because of her?

Ruby's shuddering sobs reverberated through Hazel's bones, prompting her to hold onto Ruby even tighter. Hazel felt utterly helpless, unable to find any words of solace to offer in the face of such tangible anguish. The sharp sensations prickling her heart and soul overshadowed even the burning pain in her leg. All she could do was hold Ruby close, sharing the grief that bound them together.

A distant cracking of branches and the shifting of footsteps through brush lit off a sense of dread in her heart. Subtle movement from the District Eight tract caught her attention. Burnt sienna curls met her gaze as Caleb and his group cautiously extricated themselves from the tract. The group kept a wide berth around the collapsed spider, weapons ready. Julian tapped the end of a nearby spider leg with the toe of his boot and then paused as if waiting for it to spring to life. However, no movement came from the monster.

They wouldn't be distracted for long, Hazel realized. In the Hunger Games, there was no time for grief. She glanced back at the trap, her mind racing as she tried to shift gears. She needed to push down the sorrow to refocus on survival. Perhaps they could salvage the trap and adjust their plan. Caleb's intense gaze met hers across the field, and she tightened her grip on Ruby. 'I have to try,' she thought, the urgency weighing heavily on her.

Pulling Ruby away from her chest and wiping her own tears on the sleeve of her shirt, Hazel's voice croaked, "Rubes, I know this is terrible, but we've got to go. Caleb's coming."

She could see the terror in Ruby's eyes, a mirror of her own. Every fiber of her being screamed to protect Ruby, but she knew they had to move. If they stayed, they'd both be dead.

Ruby shuddered. Hazel gently gripped the girl's chin, turning her head to meet her gaze. Ruby's face was swollen, and deep red outlined her eyes. "We can still pull this off, but I can't do it without you."

Ruby cast a hesitant glance toward Caleb's group, but her face was still shrouded in thick, numbing agony. She appeared alert, but she seemed to see right through Hazel. It was as if the girl was hearing Hazel's words underwater. Ruby hesitated to respond, the doubt clear on her face.

Hazel gripped her hands. "We are a team," Hazel whispered desperately.

Ruby ran a delicate finger over her pink armband before she closed her eyes and nodded. She appeared to be battling both gut-wrenching grief and another wave of rising fear. Hazel empathized with the girl; her own nerves felt thrashed and hungover, but they didn't have time to rest. "Now get back to your original spot and signal Kai. Understand?"

"What about..." Ruby choked her voice raw, "you?"

"I'm going to do my best to be right behind you, but I need to get the message to Silus, and I need those trees to come down once I get them to follow me. You run and don't look back."

Ruby nodded but still clung to Hazel's arms. Caleb stalked closer to them, a wicked smile crossing his features.

"Go, Rubes," Hazel implored with one final hug before pushing her gently toward the woods. The girl sent her a long look before turning and sprinting toward the tree line. Her now crumpled armband was a rosy blur as she ran. Once Ruby was securely behind the trees, Hazel turned her attention back to Caleb. She needed them to be closer. The afternoon light was beginning to fade, and she had limited time before the plan would entirely fall apart. She took a few cautious steps in their direction. Caleb tilted his head as he watched her. She wiped the tears under her eyes and gripped her axe.