Chapter Forty-Four: Lightning and Snowfall

As the sun dipped lower, dark clouds gathered in the distance. Hazel wrapped her arms around her legs, digging her toes into the cool sand beneath her. The breeze, once warm, now carried a chill as the day faded into evening. She breathed in deeply, savoring the refreshing scent of approaching rain and the rhythmic lull of the waves. The soothing sensations allowed her to momentarily escape the lingering, metallic stench of blood and death that clung to the air.

Resting her chin on her knees, Hazel remained still, her stare fixed ahead. The tears and blood had long since dried, leaving a blush-tinted residue on her skin.

Near the water's edge, the black blanket was now draped over Aaron's body. The rising wind licked at its corners, making it flutter like a macabre flag. Hazel let out a shuddering breath as she stared at the figure. She envisioned Mayor Garth Shepherd's elegant face, realizing he would never see his son alive again.

Hazel buried her head in her arms, inhaling deeply. What if Heath had left well enough alone? What if Oren had? Perhaps Aaron would still be breathing. Hazel's eyes blurred as a tear escaped, trailing slowly down her cheek. She brushed at it absently, her fingers leaving a damp streak on the fabric of her sleeve. Each droplet felt heavy, burdened with the weight of her guilt.

Behind her, the murmur of voices felt like white noise. The rest of the group was quietly conversing and eating. The jokes and daydreams were long gone.

Ethan, with a new bright pink strip of bandage adorning his shoulder, repeatedly thanked Ian for saving his life. Ian shrugged and brushed off the gratitude.

Ruby said little, offering a soft thank you to Ian but remained close to Ethan's side. A new bandage of her own in place.

Kai tried to engage Ruby, but she largely ignored him.

Hours had passed since their confrontation with District Four, yet Hazel's nerves remained frayed. The group's casual chatter faded into background noise like the lull of the ocean. Lost in her thoughts, Hazel flinched as a hand landed softly on her shoulder. Her heart raced, a sharp intake of breath cutting through the silence as her muscles tensed instinctively.

Silus settled into the sand beside her. "Easy, it's just me. You want something to eat?" His voice was thick, yet he managed to keep his emotions in check. He's so much stronger than I am. She sighed, wiped her eyes and offered him a brief smile that resembled more of a grimace but declined the offer.

Silus didn't press her but simply nodded at her refusal. He shifted closer until their shoulders rested against one another. His presence was comforting, and Hazel was almost grateful he was here with her. Almost.

"So, you are after that blue haired bastard too?" Ethan's voice suddenly rose, pulling Hazel's attention back to the group. Ethan, holding a strip of smoked trout, paused, and looked at Ian across the gap between them.

Ian's face grew serious as he took the trout. "You could say that" he replied tearing off a bite.

"Well, I'm going to make sure that prick gets nothing from these games." Ethan replied, talking with his mouth full of partially chewed trout, "We are already halfway there, considering Eve is... you know," Ethan said, his voice trailing off as he met Hazel's eyes.

"I would think allowing mentors to bet on the games would be illegal," Silus questioned, taking a sip from one of the glass water bottles.

Ethan sneered, bits of soft chewed trout raining from his mouth, "As if the rules apply to him. He believes he's above the law. "

"And do you know what?" Ian leaned in, "He's right." Ian observed Ethan's expression thoughtfully, drawing his braid over his shoulder and idly twirling the ends between his fingers, "Or at least, he believes he is."