Chapter Fifty-One: Wounds and Wagers

A wet cough poured from Elara's lips as she stumbled backward before collapsing in a muted thud. Her sharp moans melted into deep, ragged gasps as her axe-adorned chest heaved. Her hazel eyes grew wide as she fixated on Caleb. Her expression was almost pleading before her focus wavered, her stare locking onto something unseen above them. Her breathing slowed to a nearly invisible quiver of her chest muscles until a haunting stillness settled over her. Her delicate features froze, her mouth open, her eyes heavy-lidded.

Silus sucked in a sharp breath, staring down at her figure. His surprise solidified into a satisfied expression as his gaze moved from the District One tribute to Hazel.

The shocked silence shattered as Caleb barked out an unhinged laugh. He ran a hand through his hair, staring at his alliance partner. "I didn't think you had it in you," he said

Black dots circled at the edges of her vision like vultures ready to claim a carcass. She bit her lip and shooed at the sensation.

Hazel's hands quivered as she bent and scooped up Mia's knife. The blade was coated in a coagulated mess of her blood and Caleb's. Holding it in her uninjured palm, she aimed the crimson tip at his chest and began to back away.

Why would he leave the knife in the tree? Was it some deluded test? Or maybe he was just that reckless—either way. I need him away from Silus, whatever it takes.

"I think you did," Hazel replied, her voice strained. "I think this is exactly what you wanted. So you didn't have to kill her yourself. Typical, District Two, having others do their dirty work."

"Quite the theory. A little dramatic, though." Caleb replied, his sword swaying back and forth in front of him.

"Yeah, dramatic doesn't sound like you at all." Hazel's voice was flat as she dragged her feet backward, doing her best not to stumble. She squeezed her blood-soaked palm in the tail of her shirt as she chewed on the inside of her cheek.

"Gotta give the people what they want. This isn't exactly what I had planned. But I'm flattered by your confidence in me." He took a long step toward her.

Silus yanked on his bound arm. The branch he was attached to convulsed, its waxy leaves reflecting the cooling tones of the evening sky as they danced with the jerking motions.

"Now what?" Caleb asked as he stalked forward, eyes darting between Hazel and her brother.

Hazel swallowed a moan as her hand throbbed, and her wet skin began to chill in the steadily cooling arena. Twisting the material of her shirt harder, she backed away. "I'm going to give you two choices. You can kill me or my brother."

Silus froze, his eyebrows twitching as their eyes met. "What are you doing?" he asked. She shot him an apologetic look but remained silent. Silus's frown deepened, and he redoubled his efforts to escape, straining harder against his binds.

Caleb's smile widened as she took several uneven steps backward, which he matched with a forward stride of his own. "Ballsy. Do you seriously think you can give me choices? You're delusional if you think you have any control in this situation." His smirk grew more terrifying.

Silus seemed to give up trying to dislodge the cuff and instead inched closer to Elara, prodding her arm with the toe of his boot.

"We both know which of us you really want to take out," Hazel goaded, widening the gap between them. The words felt sour on her tongue.

Caleb glanced back at Silus, who stiffened and grew still, then refocused on Hazel. "I don't see why I can't kill you both."

Silus tapped Elara's arm harder with his boot, but she remained still, staring skyward, mouth fixed in permanent shock.